PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

JJJJJ
27-05-2013, 08:48 AM
I have an eight core cpu o/c to 4.3 in a Sabre Tooth motherboard and twelve gigs of ram.and a 690 gpu. Running Win 7.
My g510 keyboard tells me that I use a max of 60% resources and 50% of ram.
I reckon I should be able to use 100%,and load programs twice as fast.
Why can't I?
Jack

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Coz if you use 100% ram you'll probably run out of memory. And everything will come to a screaming halt

linw
27-05-2013, 09:20 AM
And re-writing the memory/resources management routines would be a trifle difficult. Personally, I'm happy to let the windows programmers handle it!

dugimodo
27-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Also loading programs is not especially resource intensive, mainly it relies on the speed of your hard drive. It's like asking why having a large boot on your car doesn't let it go faster, not a perfect analogy but you get the point. Even if you had the fastest hard drive system imaginable and loaded everything virtually instantly you will still not normally see either of those sit at 100%.

Simply put 12Gb or RAM is more than most applications can use and only certain intensive tasks like video encoding are likely to max out the CPU usage. This is a good thing, would you rather have a 800cc car straining to maintain the speed limit on a hill or cruise up in a 2L with resources to spare?

Car analogies done for this week :)

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah my money is on the HDD / SSD being the bottleneck