PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 and LibreOffice

Tony
26-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm still helping mu neighbour set up her new laptop. We (I) installed LibreOffice. It is working OK in general, but there seemms top be a problem with interacting with touch. It doesn't seem to be responding to scrolling gestures for instance. Has anyone else experienced this? It doesn't help that I am new to Win8 and touch screens myself, so it could be something I am doing wrong.

I also found pressing the back-arrow moved the cursor some number of lines up the screen rather than back a few characters :mad:. I'm thinking of going to Open Office instead - any thoughts?

wainuitech
26-05-2013, 06:55 PM
From experience with other programs, not all programs work to well on a touch screen -- Use a mouse. :)

Tony
26-05-2013, 06:59 PM
From experience with other programs, not all programs work to well on a touch screen -- Use a mouse. :)I thought that might be the case.

Nick G
26-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Open Office won't be any better - apart from not responding to touch any better to Libre Office, Open Office is worse than Libre Office for word processing.

pcuser42
26-05-2013, 07:43 PM
If you really want touch input to work properly you might have to fork out for Office 2013.

Tony
26-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Open Office won't be any better - apart from not responding to touch any better to LibreOffice, Open Office is worse than LibreOffice for word processing.I rather feared that might be the case, which is why I initially went for LibreOffice. I'm not personally fussed about touch, but having finally weaned my neighbour off XP, it would be nice if she could have a consistent experience. She has enough problems with the new concepts as it is.

Yes she could go to Office 2013, but expense could be an issue.

The Error Guy
26-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Install the office 2013 trial, let her make the decision of is it worth the money. That's what trials are kindly there for, if she thinks its worth the $1-200 then go for it.

I quite like the skydrive integration :)

Tony
26-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Install the office 2013 trial, let her make the decision of is it worth the money. That's what trials are kindly there for, if she thinks its worth the $1-200 then go for it.

I quite like the skydrive integration :)I think your pricing is a bit off. Leaving out the subscription option, the MS NZ website quotes Home and Student at $239 and individual apps at $199 each.

The Error Guy
27-05-2013, 01:29 AM
That expensive is it?

I got mine under my old schools Volume Licensing, got 180 days before I have to go back and connect to the WiFi to get it to activate with VL KMS :D