PDA

View Full Version : Asus seashell laptop turns on then nothing. Tried everything and clueless.

trami
26-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Reseted cmos - didnt help
Took out memory - didnt help
Tried to release static charge - didnt help
Tried hooking it to a different screen via the vga connection - didnt help
Tried cleaning everything, taking everything apart then reassembeling - didnt help
Checked power from battery and ac charger - all fine - didnt help

Also on mother board - Fan working.
I also checked if theres power with a multimeter on - Harddrive, video connector to the screen and few other stuff. everything got their volts!

Another thing - A friend of mine gave me the laptop - He was trying to set windows but told me bios recognized the hard drive but windows didnt. And after a while display shut of permanently. Then he gave it to me to check.
Anyways really clueless, would appreciate help

Paul.Cov
26-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Tell your friend to get a new laptop.

If you can't get into a BIOS screen, then it's probably history.

Check those Alt F1-F10 keys or Fn F1-F10 or Ctrl F1-F10 combos for the one that switches the display to the external VGA port, just in case it's trying to send output to a dead port, but if you can't get life on the screen, and there's illumination working around the edges/background of the screen but still no text, then I'd say give up. Copy the drive data (if any) and let the recyclers play with whatever is left in working order.

trami
27-05-2013, 02:15 AM
Tried the f8 thing from the begining - didnt help :/

zqwerty
27-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Try the del key whilst booting.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2013, 08:37 AM
If youre trying to to reinstall XP on it, and the BIOS can see it (but windows setup cant) you need SATA drivers, if it's got a SATA hdd. (If the BIOS has an AHCI / IDE mode option, change it to IDE mode). But you cant change it back to AHCI after, it'll crash. Unless you download a reg hack, that'll let you use AHCI after you install windows

If it doesn't have a restore partition on it, the only way you'll be able to reinstall XP is if you use Nlite find the SATA drivers (you'll need the windows cd too for this), on the ASUS site then slipstream them / burn the ISO to cd.

If its got one. Or use something like Rufus which will copy an ISO to a flash drive. So you can boot from it (that's if the BIOS has an option to boot from USB flash drives).

Does it have a restore partition on it (it looks like some of these seashells do) press / hold F9 down when you turn it on

trami
27-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Dont know nothing is responding, the HDD light appears for a second then nothing. Could it be a bios going bad?

wainuitech
27-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Could also be a failed motherboard, esp if nothing is showing, and cant even get into the BIOS.

CYaBro
27-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Could also be a failed motherboard, esp if nothing is showing, and cant even get into the BIOS.

+1 Sounds like a dead mainboard to me too.

27-05-2013, 11:52 AM
+1 Sounds like a dead mainboard to me too.

There are a few companies that can do board level repairs on laptop motherboards
It may not be worth the cost though (maybe $250-$300 ish) .