PDA

View Full Version : DNS Problems

Sam Bos
25-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi everyone,

In the last few weeks at home we've been getting a lot of DNS errors (This web page is not available - The server at www.google.co.nz can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed).

When it happens, it's usually only for 1 or 2 particular sites/domains. The google ones (eg search, Gmail, Youtube) have been happening a lot, TradeMe fails occasionally, Facebook is another, and there's other sites we use that fail from time to time as well.

All of us have been experiencing these problems (4 PCs) although not always at the same time, eg last night my brother couldn't access Facebook, whereas I could (although I lost access to it about 10 mins later), sometimes one of the PCs will have problems accessing google while the others are fine.

So I put it down to either a problem with the router (it's just a NetComm from Slingshot), or Slingshot itself.

But I wouldn't know where/how to find the problem, and how to fix it.

If anyone can give me some help (in layman's terms please ) I'd really appreciate it! (I really can't be bothered waiting in Slingshot's phone queues for hours on end!)

wainuitech
25-05-2013, 04:13 PM
If the problem is at slingshot it will be like pulling teeth to try and solve.

From how you describe the problem, it could be the router, because if it were sling shot it should effect everyone at the same time.

To eliminate one problem, do you have or can you borrow another router to change over and see if the problem still exists ?

fred_fish
25-05-2013, 07:01 PM
You can do some elimination testing using googles dns servers (8.8.8.8 is one of them).
Try setting that as the dns server in one of your PC's.
If that improves things, set it as the dns server in the router (via it's control panel) and set your PC back to auto.

Chilling_Silence
25-05-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm with fred_fish, try using Google DNS. If you still run into issues, it's your router that's being a silly bugger.

linw
25-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Yea, there is something really sick with Slingshot and DNS. Friend has been having Internet connection problems for a while, now. He has been toing and froing with the helpdesk and has had Chorus out to check wiring as well all to no avail. He is now being told it is his computer's ethernet interface that is crook.

Got his achine on my network and it wouldn't connect. Found fixed DNS in the interface of 202.180.64.10/11. These are supposed to be the correct ones and he must have been told to put these in as he wouldn't have had a clue to do this otherwise. But these addresses just didn't work. dnsinspect.com showed te addresses as ending in 2/9. These addresses did work on my connection, anyway.

He took the comp home and I still think he is having problems.

Sam Bos
26-05-2013, 01:03 AM
You can do some elimination testing using googles dns servers (8.8.8.8 is one of them).
Try setting that as the dns server in one of your PC's.
If that improves things, set it as the dns server in the router (via it's control panel) and set your PC back to auto.

Could you please explain how to do this?

zqwerty
26-05-2013, 01:56 AM
What is your Operating System?

ie Xp, Win7, Win8,?

zqwerty
26-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Do This:

zqwerty
26-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Get there like this:

Ok all the way out.

Sam Bos
26-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Vista.

Edit: Found the DNS settings - Currently it says the default DNS Server is 192.168.1.1, and the option for 'Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically' is grayed out. Is that what the problem is? (Going by what linw said it should be 202.180.64.10/11?) This is on the wireless adapter TCP/IPv4 properties.

Sam Bos
26-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I've changed the DNS Server to 8.8.8.8 now (just on my laptop), will see how that goes.

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2013, 05:12 PM
You can set the secondary to 8.8.4.4, which is Googles secondary DNS :)

Sam Bos
26-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Cool will give that a go too!

mzee
26-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Vista.

Edit: Found the DNS settings - Currently it says the default DNS Server is 192.168.1.1, and the option for 'Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically' is grayed out. Is that what the problem is? (Going by what linw said it should be 202.180.64.10/11?) This is on the wireless adapter TCP/IPv4 properties.
192.168.1.1 is a common DNS for Routers, Linksys & TP-Link are a couple. This accesses the setup gui.