PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade

DeSade
25-05-2013, 11:16 AM
I have left this far too long and procrastinated over it for a while.

Been researching for about a week now but things have changed so much I would like some advice.

Which is better LGA1155 or LGA2011

I will add questions as I start to make decisions.

SolMiester
25-05-2013, 11:48 AM
LGA1155 is dead architecture, LGA2011 is better featured..but more expensive and niche end.

DeSade
25-05-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't care about the cost (within reason, I wouldn't spend $1000's on one item)

So is there anything else comparable to LGA2011 if LGA1155 is dead?
If the 2011 is niche, what is mainstream?

SolMiester
25-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Well, actually, i guess 2011 is dead too, 1150 for Haswell is due 4th June

wainuitech
25-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Its called progress ;) Doesn't matter what the socket, something soon will always be along to supersede it or be better. (1155 is fine.)

looking at suppliers the 2011 is only available in i7 anyway, so that alone will be more expensive.

As for price - the top listed i7 2011 on my suppliers sites is by the time it goes to sale around $1500 while the lower end ones are around $480 + and that's just for the CPU.

That's not the top range, if you want expensive then start looking at the Xeon eight cores 2011 -- top one is close to $3500 ( that's not a typo either) Example from Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=404159)

The Error Guy
25-05-2013, 12:27 PM
I have been thinking of a desktop build for a while since I no longer *need* a laptop as such. The problem is price, the CPU alone costs as much as a laptop. My current machine has a i7 2630QM in it (2GHz Sandy bridge) - the CPU costs about $1000 and when I bought it the laptop was $1600. When you add the mobo, power supply, case, HDD and graphics I start to wonder if I should even bother.

I'm really interested in Haswell, if the power savings are as good as advertised I might just get a Haswell laptop. Although people have confused themselves. Haswell claimes a 50% power reduction, that's JUST the CPU. It wont magically make the whole laptop run better :p the screen will still chew power.

Desade - would you consider Haswell? 1150 will bring a much better performance spec, or do you wish to stick with 2011/1155?

DeSade
25-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't usually buy the TOP end and I have no interest in Xeon.

Traditionally I buy the chip that is one or two below the top and I have always brought i7 since the first iteration came out.
I think I will be needing the CPU and a new motherboard. Not sure if I will need to replace my ram.

This is what I currently have

Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8MB Cache *Quad Core* 2000Mhz Socket B (LGA1366) CPU
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Intel X58 Socket B (LGA 1366) ATX Motherboard
Corsair Dominator 12GB Triple Channel Kit 6x 2GB PC12800 DDR3 (1600Mhz) Memory CL8-8-8-24

So will I need new ram?
I believe that the new boards support quad channel ram, can I get that by adding another chip to my existing or do I need to buy all new ram?

Error guy, yes I would most certainly consider Halswell especially if 1155/2011 are dead or on the verge of being obsolete.
I do not really care about power savings but I always want the latest iteration I can get.

Iantech
25-05-2013, 01:05 PM
1155 isn't dead, its very much main stream at the moment. I would say Sandy Bridge is nearly dead - and would be if it wasnt for the 2011 CPU range. Would I wait for a Haswell chip? Probably not. Yes the Haswell has better less energy consumption, yes the Haswell has a better Integrated GPU, but from what I have read so far, performance increase over the 3770k for example is less than 5%. Quote from a source on the net:

It is a 22nm Haswell desktop processor, belonging to the fourth generation of Core-series chips.

A quad-core with 8 threads, it runs at 3.5 GHz clock speed, although the Turbo Boost technology can drive it to 3.9 GHz if needed, on all cores.

8 MB of L3 cache memory are available, along with a very good memory controller. Everything works on 84W of power.

Meanwhile, the IGP is the HD 4600 (full codename GT2 HD 4600) and runs at 1,250 MHz.

The information is consistent with the other day's report about the specifications of the entire chip line.

Sadly, that also means that Haswell Core i7-4770K won't bring any major performance improvement over Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge. The average improvement is of under 5% actually, if we're reading the slides right, smaller at 4 GHz clock-to-clock comparison.

On the flip side, overclocking is easier on Haswell, thanks to the BCLK/FSB options similar to the Sandy Bridge-E processors.

Nevertheless, upgrading to Haswell won't make sense if you have an Ivy Bridge. Not even Sandy Bridge owners will have a real reason to switch actually. The only incentive is the better GPU, and that doesn't matter when high-end PCs have add-in NVIDIA or AMD video boards anyway.

Iantech
25-05-2013, 02:01 PM
On reflection, here is the reported CPU architecture for the current and next few years.

Sandy-Bridge (been) 32nm
Ivy-Bridge (current - just) 22nm
Haswell (next month) 22nm
Broadwell 14nm
Skylake 14nm
Skymont 10nm

Bearing in mind, your current chip is probably a Nehalem or Westmare (45nm), going to an IvyBridge or Haswell, you are going to notice a big difference - as well as the extra GHz!! (I know I did when I went to my Ivy). As the Haswell is newer, you're pretty much best with that. You could use your existing RAM, but personally I would probably upgrade to 2133 or even 2400MHz RAM.

My Opinion Only!!

DeSade
25-05-2013, 02:02 PM
So based on the above Ian you recommend the Ivy Bridge?
Which chip in particular?

You posted before I got this one up.

So wait for Halswell then, although buying a new-gen chip as soon as its released can be expensive.

Current one is a Nehalem

DeSade
25-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Btw I have put this off cause I just can't find the time to do it.
Do you do upgrades Ian, if the parts are not purchased from you?

SolMiester
25-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Just upgraded my server raid controller from HP Smart Array E201i to a P800...does that count?

DeSade
25-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Count for what Sol?

Iantech
25-05-2013, 09:01 PM
So based on the above Ian you recommend the Ivy Bridge?
Which chip in particular?

You posted before I got this one up.

So wait for Halswell then, although buying a new-gen chip as soon as its released can be expensive.

Current one is a NehalemHonestly, from what I have read so far, you're bearly going to notice any difference between them both. I need to do more research but from what I have read so far there simply isnt enough improvement with Haswell over ivy to make it a clear winner. Put it this way, if you had an IB, then you would be wasting your money, but as you have a first gen i7, then I would say go for it. I had a first gen i7 (2.8 GHz) , it was no slouch, but OMG, my 3770k is an incredible step up IMO.

If anything the price of the new Haswell CPU will be similar or cheaper than the current equivalent, I dont think they will be more. I really dont see any advantage to go Haswell over Ivy apart from being more energy efficient, Im thinking that as it is a lower wattage, it may also be easier to keep the heat under control if overclocked - but I might be wrong, dugi might know more about the relation between wattage and heat. (I would still look at water cooling for any top end CPU). The IGU is irralevant for your requirements.

Personally, I would wait for Haswell, I havent seen much info on what the motherboards will be like to support them yet, that will be the big thing.

What would I buy? I always like to future-proof myself for a good few years, so when I upgrade, I normally go top of the line. I wouldnt go any less than a 4770k, and matched with a high end motherboard and the fastest RAM without going stupid - some top end RAM just doesnt warrent the cost for the extra MHz IMO.

Sure, I can assemble it, you dont have to purchase the bits through my business (means I dont have to put the warranty on parts lol) and will stress test it. But I wont overclock it.

SolMiester
25-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Count for what Sol?

Sorry, got the wrong end of that..lol

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2013, 12:57 AM
If it's just for gaming, forget upgrading your CPU / motherboard. Get a SSD and spend a premium on your GPU and a solid PSU to power it. Hell spend *all* your dosh on the GPU, $1200 worth would get you some pretty kick-ass framerates :D

Iantech
26-05-2013, 02:11 AM
If it's just for gaming, forget upgrading your CPU / motherboard. Get a SSD and spend a premium on your GPU and a solid PSU to power it. Hell spend *all* your dosh on the GPU, $1200 worth would get you some pretty kick-ass framerates :DMight help the read and write speed from the HDD, but no good if you cant proccess the information. I think you under estimate the importance of having a fast CPU (and having a decent MB to ulitise the full potential of the CPU). My current system (i7 3770k, 16Gb RAM, Z77X UD5, GTX670) totally walks over my older system (i7 860, 16Gb RAM, P55A UD6, GTX670). - same RAM and GPU.

DeSade already has one of the best kick-ass GPUs on the market that most gamers would envy (GTX 680) , while a SSD will help load the game faster (very fast infact), it wont help processing the information. A slow CPU, MB and RAM will bottleneck any game, more so a game that doesnt support multi core CPUs.

Yes, I would recommend a SSD or even a mSATA SSD Cache Drive, but its not by any means the total solution.

My Opinion Only.

DeSade
26-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I have one of these as my C:/
Intel X25-M Mainstream Solid State Drive - 34nm Product Line - Solid state drive - 80GB - internal - 2.5" - SATA-300

But there is no room on it for games, its too small. I plan to upgrade it to something larger.

As Ian said my GPU is pretty good, I know there is a 780 out now but I think the CPU upgrade is more pressing.
Besides this time around I want the 790 :)

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2013, 02:16 PM
When playing a game, if you run Task Manager on a second monitor, what utilization does it show your game reaching?

You can pick up a 120GB SSD for cheap, hell even get two of these and RAID them for better performance: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=HDDSAM2128

DeSade
26-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Depends on the game and on the core.
Core 1 for instance is constantly at or near 100%
The others fluctuate a lot.

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Yeah almost all games are like that... but if they're not peaking, or getting near the peak, then I'd suggest you won't get a lot out of a CPU upgrade. Even on my 6-core AMD 3.3Ghz I can't get anything anywhere near 50%! Total usage peaks around 45 for *everything*, including the Google Music, TeamSpeak3, browser windows etc.

This is both during loading AND in-game