PDA

View Full Version : Web pages wont load

Blue52
24-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Love some help please.... I can get some .co.nz sites but nothing else. Ive spent hours with broadband help on three consecutive days and have established connections etc are all fine. Done everything they can think of and established the connection can find sites but my computer is just not allowing them to load. Husband on same connection has no probs on desktop or laptop. Computer: Lenovo PC desk, reasonably new, Vista, top Norton virus protection (also tried disabling on my computer with no result). Also tried Google Chrome, still no go. Something is blocking the sites loading on my computer only. I am not getting any error message at all, just a white screen and the computer thinking circle thing going round. All was well until moment of electrial storm on Tuesday, maybe coincidental I dont know. PS Im computer literate, but not tech literate. Thanks for your innovative thought.

wainuitech
24-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Welcome to PF1.

Sorry but
top Norton virus protection (also tried disabling on my computer with no result) is a contradiction, its rubbish ;) Don't be at all surprised if its Norton giving you problems. Disabling Norton doesn't actually turn it off, its actually still running.

Try this and see what happens. Click Start, type in CMD from the result, open the command prompt. Type in

ping 74.209.160.10 <Press Enter>

or

ping 64.30.224.118 <Press Enter>

Do you get a answer or does it time out ?

If your overseas connection is working you should get a reply

Blue52
26-05-2013, 12:35 PM
yes, i get a quick reply. I have been through all that with the techs, its all working, however the pages just wont open. I can get into Massey University and all links (I am a phd student), can get into library, but then cant access EBsco data base links. I can open Google, search, but cant access links from there.

Paul Ramon
26-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Have you tried the basics like going to 'tools', 'internet options', 'security tab' and then Reset all zones to default level? Also try compatibility mode. But also agree with Wainuitech - Nortons causes more internet connection headaches than its worth. Uninstall it then run the Norton removal tool and you will probably find your problem fixed!

wainuitech
26-05-2013, 01:07 PM
if the pings are working, and your husbands computer is fine then it something on your computer.

Remove all security - this mean completely removing Norton as Paul suggested.

Theres been countless times I've been at peoples places, the internet doesn't work, pings do - remove the security and all of a sudden its fine. If the security corrupts then it can do all sorts of funny things.

Just a hint - after removing Norton if the internet works, don't put it back, use something else, often once its removed, even reinstalling it, you'll find in a short time period it will corrupt again.

Edited; I say if the internet works because sometimes it may not be Norton, but with no security there is nothing stopping the connections unless its something other problem -- process of elimination sometimes.