PDA

View Full Version : Wii U game console

Mike
24-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi all,

looking at buying a game console for the kids (7, 8, 11), and wondering whether the Wii U (Premium probably) is worth looking at? We're primarily PC users, haven't had a console for years (had an old Xbox original until it stopped working), but the kids loved playing on their cousins Wii when they visited from Oz a year or so ago, and now pretend to play the games as they watch youtube videos others have recorded :D thought it might be a nice treat, but not sure whether to go with something new, or just pick up an older console off trademe.

So should I look at an original Wii, or go for the Wii U (or Xbox 360 or PS3)? Not going to look at the new xbox one or ps4.

Pros & cons?

Cheers,
Mike.

Mirddes
24-05-2013, 02:14 PM
a WiiU with the accessories required to play wii games is a worthwhile investment. ITS EPIC FUN WITH ARM SWINGING

360/ps3 will be cheaper.

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2013, 02:49 PM
^^ Agreed, the Wii U is great fun, and it's awesome that it works with all the old Wii accessories too! :)

Mike
24-05-2013, 02:58 PM
^^ Agreed, the Wii U is great fun, and it's awesome that it works with all the old Wii accessories too! :)Can you confirm it'll use old Wii accessories? I had heard/read somewhere that it'd play the old Wii games, but not the remotes etc.? Maybe I misunderstood?

Was leaning towards Wii/Wii U rather than 360/ps3 as someone had told me there's better selection for the younger kids. Not sure if this is true.

Cheers,
Mike.

Gobe1
24-05-2013, 03:04 PM
My kids have a wii-u and the only reason i got it was because it plays the wii games (their old wii broke)
The controllers from the old wii work on the new wii-u
Much better kids games on the wii and adults enjoy it too

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Yeah as Gobe1 mentioned, both the controllers, the controller accessories (Like the MotionPlus if your Wiimotes are old enough, or the Classic Controller extension), the Wii Fit balance board, all work fine with the Wii-U.

The games are definitely better played with a friend, as opposed to by yourself. That's not to say they suck if you're on your own, but just a *lot* more fun if you've got somebody there with you.

And yeah there's definitely a good selection for kids and things :)

Mike
24-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys, it should help in the decision. Are old games locked to the console or an online account etc., or is it pretty safe to buy off trademe? (regular trademe risks aside)

Cheers,
Mike.

icow
24-05-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't believe so.

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Nup it's fine to buy second-hand off TradeMe :) Most of our Wii games are from the EBGames "Trade n Save" type of thing!

jonovw
24-05-2013, 11:25 PM
nzgameshop.com has pretty cheap games. A lot of the time they were cheaper than second hand and almost all the time cheaper than EB games

SanChippy
26-05-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm a coveted Die Hard fan of Nintendo in general, and how they actually care about the backwards compatibility of their products [Unlike some companies #hinthint]. IMHO Wii U is a great buy, and I have a friend who has been telling me to get one, would have gotten one at launch, but I had no money then and now. My dad also thinks that he should get a Wii U, and is waiting for me to buy one. Cheeky much.

Afterall Nintendo has so much going for them regarding the Wii and Wii U in the same screen multiplayer, not split screening as such, but Wii mario bros, and soon Super Smash Bros. so it is a good investment.

*EDIT*
SO to answer your question, yes the Wii U is a good buy. The fact that you are going to be buying this for your kids will mean that you want the fun multiplayer of the Wii franchise, and you too will probably end up playing the games with them... ;)

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Yeah I must admit the multi-screen stuff is actually pretty damn cool, they've done real well!

Mike
26-05-2013, 08:40 AM
OK update:

Bought a Wii-U from Dick Smith yesterday afternoon (was almost $200 cheaper than Noel Leeming et al.) plus somehow got convinced (by the wife of all people) to also buy a second remote and a game - Skylanders Giants or something - which still came out cheaper than the other places lol. The kids cried :)

So we've all had a turn, seems a lot of fun. Now I need to acquire all the extras (two controllers aren't quite enough for 3 kids... or 3 kids + 2 parents...)

Don't know what most of the online stuff it keeps talking about actually means. I might need to do some more reading up online.

Cheers,
Mike.

8ftmetalhaed
27-05-2013, 11:16 AM
oh god skylanders
just a tip - don't let your kids get obsessed with buying the other figures for it. They're expensive and don't add all that much to the game. They're fun, but not something to get carried away with. They're alot like trading cards.

Grab the super mario games (both wii and wii u), they're awesome. I wanted a wii u myself for mario but couldn't afford it -_-
Someday!

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Yeah the Super Mario ones are cool, as is Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort (They're for the Wii but run great on the Wii U anyways).

Mirddes
27-05-2013, 04:03 PM
all in all a solid competitor to the much more advanced, smartphone compatible, ps4 and xboxONE

mark1978
01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
PS3 I would say... we have a WII and they NEVER play it!

SanChippy
02-06-2013, 12:00 AM
PS3 I would say... we have a WII and they NEVER play it!

Reminds me of of Auntie. She got a Wii, but never bothered with a recharging dock thingy, so she doesn't play it much. Just me and Grandpa, when I have found batteries in my Dad's stash. ;)