PDA

View Full Version : Word 2013 will not open document that used to be OK on 2007

Colpol
24-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Recently replaced old computer and installed Office365 on the new one.
A form which SWMBO could fill on the old machine running Office 2007 will not allow editing under office 2013.
It opens as read only ??????.
redownloaded form from web site. Same result.
Check properties and it is not set as Read only. Saved a copy as .docx with no joy. The document does not show as protected in any way.
Any ideas welcome.

Cheers
Colin

pcuser42
24-05-2013, 10:48 AM
The exact same file in the exact same place opens fine in 2007 but not 2013?

If it's the same file but in different places, it's possible the one you're trying to open in 2013 has the read-only attribute set in Windows Explorer.

coldot
24-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Try renaming the file. If Word already has a backup copy of the file, or if it has one open already, it will open as read only because it wants to protect the backup copy. (Even if the backup copy is from several years ago.)

Colpol
24-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Opens fine in 2007 but not in 2013.
Checked attributes. Nothing set.
Dowloaded another copy from Web site.
Tried renaming when I saved as .docx.
Nothing seems to make any difference Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

coldot
24-05-2013, 04:05 PM
I haven't got Word 2013, but this link may be relevant - seems to say that you have to switch something on or off to convert your doc to 2013.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/word-help/use-word-2013-to-open-documents-created-in-earlier-versions-of-word-HA102749315.aspx

or this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027605/10-microsoft-word-2013-headaches-and-how-to-cure-them.html

pcuser42
24-05-2013, 04:25 PM
A thought, what format is the original document in? I remember not being able to edit a Word 6.0 document in Word 2010 because by default it blocked it, but that can be changed.

Colpol
24-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks PCU.
It is in .doc format.
Followed the procedure in your first link. Looked good but didn't work. Still can't edit it.:mad:
Part of that link confirmed that it was created in Word 97-2003.
Possibly to old to be compatible.:badpc:

pcuser42
24-05-2013, 07:56 PM
.doc alone doesn't really say much, that covers older formats as well as Word 97-2003. :)

Colpol
24-05-2013, 08:40 PM
.doc alone doesn't really say much, that covers older formats as well as Word 97-2003. :)

OK
please explain what you mean by format so I can answer your question.:confused:

Cgheers
Coin

pcuser42
24-05-2013, 08:49 PM
OK
please explain what you mean by format so I can answer your question.:confused:

Cgheers
Coin

Let's just go for a possible solution ;)

On the File menu, click Options, and go to Trust Centre. Under Trust Centre settings, go to File Block, and clear all the checkboxes (or allow editing in the options at the bottom). Does the document open then?

Colpol
24-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Let's just go for a possible solution ;)

On the File menu, click Options, and go to Trust Centre. Under Trust Centre settings, go to File Block, and clear all the checkboxes (or allow editing in the options at the bottom). Does the document open then?

Thanks PCU.
Did that but still can't edit. (The form opens ok just can't enter details into the boxes):crying

kahawai chaser
24-05-2013, 09:40 PM
How was the original document (doc) created? From a dot/dotx (template) or sections copied from a template? Also how was the form created? If field codes (http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/word-help/field-codes-in-word-HA102749146.aspx) (e.g. fill in code) were used, or if the form copied from some other location (e.g. the web), then W2013 may not open it. Also doc controls may be in place and not working in W2013. To view hidden codes, it use to be ALt +F9. For W2013 try here. (http://www.extendoffice.com/documents/word/899-word-display-hide-field-codes.html) May give ideas if such codes were used/applied but now not working.

Colpol
24-05-2013, 10:02 PM
SWMBO is an assessor and files her assessments on forms downloaded from the firms web site so I have no idea re the origins.
Did the hidden codes thing without success. Still can't enter required details in the fields.:crying

kahawai chaser
25-05-2013, 12:14 AM
It seems these are not the exact same forms that opened in W2007. But field codes are viewable in the 2013 forms/document? The {\*mergeformat} code is common for text entry fields. If fields are present/viewable you could try comparing them with an earlier form/document (if available) and compare the codes (click on code and shift f9 to view/toggle individual codes or right click to edit). It's possible switches (http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/word-help/format-field-switch-HP005186222.aspx)(/) (e.g. charformat, lock switch,) were added to the codes since the earlier forms.

I'm assuming the form is unprotected, and no other editing restrictions. You could test by inserting (http://www.addintools.com/documents/word/where-insert-field.html) your own fields (date is a simple one or the Ask/Fillin field) and see if they appear (the codes) and display the result...Back up your document first. However some fields only work from a actual template (dot) to save to doc format (for early versions of word).

Failing that I can only suggest if macros need be enabled, or if the form was created from a macro enabled template (dotm). Then perhaps save as a template (dot, dotm, etc), and see if editing works for the template(s).

Colpol
25-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Tried to get the codes. Would not show any in either an original of the doc or a copy saved as 2013 docx.
Just to test that I was doing it right I did it on another (later) document from the web site and the f9 keypress worked.
Appears that it doesntt have any?????:confused::badpc:

Colpol
25-05-2013, 10:59 AM
"Failing that I can only suggest if macros need be enabled, or if the form was created from a macro enabled template (dotm). Then perhaps save as a template (dot, dotm, etc), and see if editing works for the template(s)."

Saved as different types and .dotm seemed to have worked. will see if SWMBO is happy with it.

Colpol
25-05-2013, 11:34 AM
When using the doc it seems that you can open and enter details as a docm but as soon as you save it as a docx or doc it can no longer be edited.
But that is ok with her so all happy.
Bit of a stuff around but at least she can use it now.
Thank you to all the neat guys here. Once again you came up trumps.

kahawai chaser
26-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Glad it worked. Though not really ideal messing about. Dots and Normal Docs can have issues, depending on a few factors...

A. Default setting changes when applying macros (from W2010/2013 options), and if any addittional codes - passwords - were added.

B. For creating dots (.dot, docx, .dotm, etc) - How the template was actually created can effect the final generated doc - including editing. So whether if a doc is created from a pure bank dot, a blank doc (which is really the normal template - but this can load additional settings if actually saved as a dot), from an existing dot, a hybrid, or simply copied from a doc (which is generally based from the normal template).

Most newbies choose the last option - Since faster and easier -as likely to have content, tables, and forms present that best represents the final custom dot template. However saving from a doc (with it's contents) to a dot is a bit restrictive in some instances, as only sometimes settings (e.g. hot keys, custom toolbars/manu settings, styles, format, certain fields, auto text, building blocks, and importantly macros) will be copied depending how you actually create a dot template. I suspect thats what's occurred. The macros were not not made available in the doc format for you to edit, because they were never inherited from the original doc to dotm - then saved as a doc (for you to try edit), and I suspect the company don't realise this.

Really, they need to create a brand new .dot. template or actually save macros and seetings in the global template as a dot template (then all features become available in associated/copied documents) to created a editable .doc, but this may be tedious, depending on how many forms/content and subsequent macro editing would be involved. Hence easier to opt out to simply copy a earlier doc. But won't work properly with advanced features...

Most newbies choose the last option - Since faster and easier -as likely to have content, tables, and forms present that best represents the final custom dot template. However saving from a doc (with it's contents) to a dot is a bit restrictive in some instances, as only sometimes settings (e.g. hot keys, cutom toolbars/manu settings, certain fields, auto text, building blocks, and importantly macros) will be copied depending how you actually create a dot template then to be saved as a document (.doc). I suspect thats what's occurred. The macros were not not made available in the doc format for you to edit, because they were never inherited from the original doc to dotm - then saved as a doc (for you to try edit), and I suspect the company don't realise this.

dugimodo
27-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I had a similar problem in word 2010 with a form my boss sent me, couldn't remember the solution so I googled it and found this which I think is what we ended up doing.

1.Click on the office logo (top left hand corder of the word window)
2.Click on word options
3.In the popular section, check Show developer tab in the ribbon
4.Now on the ribbon, select the Developer tab
5.Click on the Protect document icon/button, a new inspector/sidebar should appear on the right side of the screen
6.In the inspector/sidebar, in the 2. section, check Allow only this type of editing in the document, then chose Filling in forms in the drop down list immediately bellow.
7.Press the Yes, start enforcing protection button and provide a password when asked.
This is probably one of the greatest (and well hidden!) great feature of word. Once you set your password, only somebody that knows your password can chage what you entered in the grey-out field!

I really wonder why the microsoft office team took so much effort in hidding that great feature!

from here http://superuser.com/questions/59431/how-to-fill-fill-in-forms-inside-microsoft-word-documents