PDA

View Full Version : VCD Player for linux

29-11-2001, 10:57 PM
Hi there guys,

a little help with installing a vcd player for linux is needed here...

I got this far; I have downloaded a program called ZZplayer-0.0-1.i386.rpm. I went about installing it and it told me a pageload of files it needed... I checked www.kde.org for where to get these and it apparently needs SDL-1.1.7. I already have SDL-1.1.8-4mdk so am I right in thinking that I don't need to get 1.1.7 as well? the other necessary program in support of ZZplayer is called:

smpeg-0.4.0-1.i386.rpm. I downloaded this and tried to install it, but it had clashes. Installing is a real difficulty at the moment because when I click the .rpm file, it asks me for the root password, then there is about a 5 minute delay (no HDD activity, no processor usage etc) during which I go off and do what I like. Then it brings up the software install window. If I install things through software manager it does the same, but it has a little bar that slides back and forth, and it says:

'Please wait, invoking rpminst'

How do I fix this? And what do I do to get the VCD player working?

Thx:)

30-11-2001, 05:32 PM
You have to expect some delays while starting an install -- it's busily making up a dependencies list for the stuff you're loading. There won't be much disk activity needed because so much will be in memory caches.
(have 'top' running in a command window while you work and you'll see some cpu use).

A 'clash' with smpeg -- is it complaining that you are trying to install an earlier version than the one which is already installed? The multimedia/movie player will have some version of mpeg.

A later library *should* be OK, but I notice something which would put me on my guard with this software.

The version number of ZZplayer is '0.0-1'. That means it is the *very first* release of the *very first* version 0.0. It is not beta software; that is alpha software. I hope there is some warning in the release notes included in the package.
Make sure that you read all of the document files.

The smpeg is a bit more mature, but anything at 0.0 is likely to be flakey, and released more to get extra people finding bugs than as a piece of mostly reliable, easytouse production code.