PDA

View Full Version : promethius...the old days

sandyb
23-05-2013, 11:51 PM
I have been a member of press f1 for over ten plus years now..So funny what has changed since then. I use to be able to have a go at answering nearly every post. Not any more and i went back to school in the last five years thinking that would help.. I passed but OMG it use to be computers and that it. And now it phones, i pads, all sorts of sh#$, I have not answered a post for ages..I have read them but that about it. I have decided after not answering any posts for friken ages cause everyone these days too smart and/or windows is better (i still use XP lol) it is time to shut my pressf1 account down. And say bye to everyone that has been here forever and has been awesome help. And in saying that i would like to thank press f1 for never forgetting my birthday and to all the members that helped me. I still buy the magazine but things are just not the same. I miss the win 95,98 and me for all the problems..but not really. Great forum great people..where is promethius? I use to be onlyme
Thank you all so much. Good luck to you all :-)

JJJJJ
24-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Much the same here. I learned all I know of computers and even chose my first machine from PC World. I haven't bought a copy since they started filling it up with articles on printers and telephones and everything but computers. But Press F1 remains the same. Even a lot of the original names still appear. I still read every post and learn as I go. Only problem these days is, learn something today and it's forgotten by tomorrow. I once built a machine useing the mag and PF1 as my guide. Only problem was nobody mentioned how much thermal paste to use. So I used the whole tube. I haven't tried home building since.
My thanks to everyone too.
Jack

Paul.Cov
24-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I've been thinking there's not the same fun to sorting out mysterious OS issues anymore.

I think it's because there's so fewer issues, and that frankly Windows is finally coming of age as an OS.

Likewise, all the fuss around cellphones, wireless, Android, cameras just leaves me cold, but I suppose if there's so few issues with Windows, then there's not much content to fill a magazine with unless you do branch out into phones, printers, wireless, blah, blah.

Perhaps also the better control over Windows activation has also flushed out much of the problems that arose through rampany piracy.

I suspect the next big thing will be when the world migrates from Windows to Linux, once Linux and Open Office get to the point of having similar functionality and appeal, and the price MS asks is no longer tolerable in the light of all the barriers they place in our way to doing what we want... although the emerging trend is another step to lock us in, with systems being locked in to set hardware and software configurations... one more way to limit our choices and lock us in to buying all new systems and all new software.

If you want Windows 12, you'll be expected to buy it on a new machine. If you want more RAM, you'll be expected to buy it on a new machine.

Too bad about choice, too bad about the environment with all those waste computers every few years.

Terry Porritt
24-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I suppose responding to this sort of thread reveals one as an old fogey :)

I agree that solving problems with Win95/98/DOS was much more interesting and mind bending, and to boot, in those days PCWorld gave away lots of goodies. I collected a PCW T shirt, a PCW multitool, a Palm Pilot, Nortons System Works 2002...still use Ghost that came with it, and other stuff I can't remember now.

Agent_24
28-05-2013, 12:20 AM
I once built a machine useing the mag and PF1 as my guide. Only problem was nobody mentioned how much thermal paste to use. So I used the whole tube

Nice! :lol: I did much the same with my first upgrade.

It was after I found out my CPU was running around 60 degrees at idle that I realised I needed help, and after some thrashing about on the Internet I arrived here. That was in about 2003 I think.

Wow. almost 10 years!

Yeah, I've been thinking there's not the same fun to sorting out mysterious OS issues anymore.

I think it's because there's so fewer issues, and that frankly Windows is finally coming of age as an OS.

Likewise, all the fuss around cellphones, wireless, Android, cameras just leaves me cold, but I suppose if there's so few issues with Windows, then there's not much content to fill a magazine with unless you do branch out into phones, printers, wireless, blah, blah.

And the problems that do occurr are usually unfixable. At least to anyone that doesn't have a doctorate in reverse-engineering.

I suppose responding to this sort of thread reveals one as an old fogey :)

I agree that solving problems with Win95/98/DOS was much more interesting and mind bending, and to boot, in those days PCWorld gave away lots of goodies. I collected a PCW T shirt, a PCW multitool, a Palm Pilot, Nortons System Works 2002...still use Ghost that came with it, and other stuff I can't remember now.

Certainly is interesting, I didn't grow up with DOS (My first machine ran XP) but I've always liked retro computing\gaming. Prince of Persia anyone? Tunnels of Armageddon?

Nethack? (surprisingly complex and in-depth game - and the Vulture's Eye interface is nothing short of brilliant)

Bring back the ISA bus and IRQ\DMA jumpers! Maybe then there would be more *fun*...
Or maybe just build your own machine from 7400 logic. :D