PDA

View Full Version : RAM upgrade for desktop

GameJunkie
23-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Our desktop pc running vista has only 1GB of ram, and as such is running slow.

i ran the crucial memory scanner, and it says the ram type is DDR2
results here

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=2C6456BC31D926C3

I've found this 2x1GB kit that looks ok

http://www.elive.co.nz/kingston-valueram-2gb-KVR800D2N6K2-ddr2800-t12688.php?ref=pricespy

shouldn't run into any problems??

thanks

gary67
23-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Should run just fine

Agent_24
23-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Are you adding or replacing? 3GB total wouldn't be bad but 2GB still isn't great for Vista.

GameJunkie
23-05-2013, 08:39 PM
adding it.

the vista is only 32bit

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2013, 08:57 PM
It'll see 3 GB, but it wont see all of 4 GB

GameJunkie
23-05-2013, 09:01 PM
yeah, 1GB already plus the 2 1GB sticks should be alright

Iantech
23-05-2013, 09:40 PM
It'll see 3 GB, but it wont see all of 4 GBThats what I always believed, but I updated a Vista box that was running 1GB last week and put 1x 2Gb in it booted it up fine and then though I might as well put the other stick I had in it as well, so ended up with 2x 2Gb in it. It recognised the lot and used the lot and turned the dog of a computer into a greyhound. Was talking to the client today, they are stoked at the way its running.

So, I say, if you have room for 4Gb, use it, Vista loves every bit of what you give it. 3 will still be a lot better than 1 though.

dugimodo
24-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Thats what I always believed, but I updated a Vista box that was running 1GB last week and put 1x 2Gb in it booted it up fine and then though I might as well put the other stick I had in it as well, so ended up with 2x 2Gb in it. It recognised the lot and used the lot and turned the dog of a computer into a greyhound. Was talking to the client today, they are stoked at the way its running.

So, I say, if you have room for 4Gb, use it, Vista loves every bit of what you give it. 3 will still be a lot better than 1 though.

I don't think that's exactly true, 32 Bit Vista will detect and report 4Gb of RAM under system properties but if you check available RAM in the task manager it still has a max somewhere in the 3.2-3.5 Gb range.
MS just decided it was less confusing if the PC reported how much was installed not how much it could use. At least it was like that, stopped using Vista quite a few update ago so maybe things have changed ?

Mirddes
24-05-2013, 12:25 AM
get a SSD for less than $100, playtech has a 60GB kingston SSD for $98 inc shipping.

along with more ram this will make your system very quick.

more ram used to cost more than $98 for a decent amount.

4GB ram and a 1GB video card under 32bit windows will result in as little as 2.5GB usable ram. im not sure what video card so this may not be relevant.

although i understand windows 7 supports PAE under 32bit and will access as much ram as you have.

32bit puppy linux with PAE happily eats all 8GB

Iantech
24-05-2013, 01:43 AM
I don't think that's exactly true, 32 Bit Vista will detect and report 4Gb of RAM under system properties but if you check available RAM in the task manager it still has a max somewhere in the 3.2-3.5 Gb range.
MS just decided it was less confusing if the PC reported how much was installed not how much it could use. At least it was like that, stopped using Vista quite a few update ago so maybe things have changed ?Yes, thats what I always thought as well dugi, but it was showing 4gig in the task manager/performance window as well as 4gig in the computer/properties window and using it. I was quite surprised because I know XP doesnt, and I'm sure 32bit Win 7 doesnt either - at least I remember my WIn 7 32bit didnt show it or use it. And it was definately 32bit as I checked it to make sure I put the correct version of ESET on it. I remember showing the client that it was using 1.7gig on startup and explained why it was having so many issues when it had only 1 gig installed (2x 512mb - yuk!!) and showing her how much she now had. It was pretty earthquake beaten and had its front missing etc, they have been paid out for it, so Im sure its next destination will be my office when it is finally replaced, I'll see if I can get some screenshots. Cant say I have many other clients on Vista these days to check others.

GameJunkie
24-05-2013, 09:43 AM
i think the RAM is the more important issue for our pc