PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Thunderbird to new laptop

Tony
23-05-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm helping my neighbour set up her new laptop. I've installed Thunderbird, and I've copied all her files holus-bolus from her old PC, to be winnowed out later. I thought I had pointed T-bird at the data store from her old PC, but I'm not seeing her folder structure or her old emails. As I understand it the file is in the "Profiles" folder - is that right? What is the file name of the datastore? I don't have the laptop in front of me, but I think there was a .sbd file plus some sort of .dft file. Are these the ones I should be looking at?

bob_doe_nz
23-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Grab MozBackup (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mozbackup/)

Use it to make a backup of all your emails. (Remember the save location)

Then take a copy of Mozbackup and the backed up files to the new computer. After you install TB, use Mozbackup to overwrite your new TB files.

fred_fish
23-05-2013, 07:18 PM
You just need to drop the old profile into the profiles folder and adjust the profiles.ini

BBCmicro
23-05-2013, 09:04 PM
My Thunderbird emails (in Win7) are in a folder called
tncxgx6i.default
located in AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles

I just copy the whole folder across

(I don't think I have to adjust an ini file. Just calling it .default does the trick... but I could be wrong)

Tony
23-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I don't get access to the laptop till tomorrow. I'll try it then.

Robnhd
24-05-2013, 03:36 PM
+1

Grab MozBackup (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mozbackup/)

Use it to make a backup of all your emails. (Remember the save location)

Then take a copy of Mozbackup and the backed up files to the new computer. After you install TB, use Mozbackup to overwrite your new TB files.

Tony
24-05-2013, 04:48 PM
OK, we're all sorted. I used Mozbackup as suggested, and that seemed to do the trick. When I did the restore it put everything under "Local Folders", so I moved them all under the user name. I'm not a Thunderbird user, and I couldn't find a way (a) to do any sort of bulk folder move, and (b) to do a move instead of a copy. Was I missing something obvious, or doesn't Tbird do that? Only asking out of interest, as everything is actually good now.

Thanks for all the help.

linw
24-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Good is good! I've done the individual folder copy before - doesn't really take long. And copy is good as you have the originals there if you mess it up!

Tony
24-05-2013, 05:02 PM
My question was really one of general self-education, as it is all done now. In fact it took a while as there were dozens of folders.