PDA

View Full Version : Flash Drives 2 Quest: Encryption Explanation please plus Broken FD

ktee
22-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Q1
I want to buy a small flash drive, one that doesn't stick out too much. Saw a Sandisk one that sounded fine covers all the operating systems I might use and its password protected but it also says its 128 bit encrypted. I understand the principal of the encryption(scrambles the words) but not any other implications, apart from me forgetting password. As I will be travelling with this FD I thought encryption and password would be good. EG if I work on a some docs on computer "1" saved them to the flash, when I put the flash in computer "2", put password in and it unencrypts, can I just then drag them to new computer, and will those docs remain unencrypted on new computer??

Q2
Have an old FD that stopped working, dead didn't register in a number of different computers. Last week I tried it in another. Again nothing but then I bumped FD at an angle and there were all of my files.. for a couple of seconds. So if I push it up a bit and angle it backwards it works but I have to hold in that position, hence run out of hands to actually drag files across to computer. I've looked at pins they look okay but obviously not, anyone any suggestions on what to bend or not, or grow another hand.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Reply to Q1. I would read the manual on the sandisk site, depending on which FD you're going to get. It may come with some kind of program that encrypts whatever

Q2, there maybe some kind of data recovery program, that MAYBE able to see the FD. Just because windows doesnt see it it doesnt mean a data recovery program wont. But, it may not be free. It may see whats on the FD, but (depending on whats on the FD, and how data is on it). You may have to pay to recover the rest of the files on it

gary67
23-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Q2

I would hold the flash drive in to where it can be seen and copy the data off of it, then throw it in the bin its broken internally and therefore stuffed and not worth keeping

ktee
23-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Q1
Had a look at the Sanddisk specs for FD and the support info area, it appears that after installing the encryption thing "SecureAccess" you then have a secure area on FD that you can just drag files straight into area called "the vault", however to edit you have to move files out of that area to unsecured part of FD or another computer, then drag them back in again. But can't find anywhere that says how to actually get files out of vault, eg do you just drag them out once you've open the vault area.
Sound a bit complicated for my level of knowledge and extra work, so I'll just buy a simple unsecured one and have to be careful with FD, but I would still like one that's not so long. It was the "Cruzer Fit" http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/cruzer-fit/?capacity=16GB. I think PC World did review of it last year.

Q2.. Didn't think about trying operating system other than Windows. But yes I think I will get another hand to hold FD and just drag them to comp or another FD. They're not vital but be good to have them
Thanks