PDA

View Full Version : What effects do you get with BadTrans ?

29-11-2001, 03:42 PM
Hi Team

I might just be needing some serious advice here. My Win98 box has just died on me and it all happened after I opened my email in Outlook!

A message opened but it had a whole bunch of html code at the beginning and the computer froze. I shut is down straight away & tried to run my Norton Rescue disks but it won't boot from the floppy any more. Checked the CMOS and that is still saying everything is ok. Won't boot off an ordinary boot floppy either.

I have three HD, C, D, & E with C as the primary master, d as the secondary master & E as the secondary slave.

When trying to boot, it stops saying secondary master HD fail and secondary slave HD fail.
It is not seeing the Primary master.

Now, here's the problem. My NAV is current (checked again this morning before all this happened) I also downloaded and hopefully installed successfully the patch to close the hole in IE or Outlook, whichever causes the problem and all my other critical updates are up to date. NAV is also set to check all emails as they come in so I was quite confident that I would not get caught!

Unfortunately, on talking to a friend who has suffered a BadTrans infection, his symptoms sound just like mine.

Any ideas?

Billy 8-{(

29-11-2001, 04:04 PM
Try here for info on BadTrans virus (and the new one, BadTrans.B)

BadTrans:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.13312@mm.html

BadTrans.B:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.html

or for general info on the viruses go here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

good luck!

Mike

29-11-2001, 05:00 PM
Thanks Mike

I posted a reply half an hour ago but it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

None of those helped and I have since found that I can't boot off the NAV CD either.

I don't think this could be a virus unless it has scrambled the CMOS data or something equally obscure. But, CMOS all looks OK to me.

On thinking about it, to be able to propogate a worm needs a working computer so this wouldn't be BadTrans. Doesn't stop it being something equally nasty though. Does anybody have any ideas?

All cables secure, HD's spin up, normal boot info on screen, floppy is detected, CD ROM is detected, but neither will boot, two Secondary HDs report failure and Primary HD not detected. That's about it folks!

Maybe motherboard??

Billy 8-{(

29-11-2001, 06:22 PM
'When trying to boot, it stops saying secondary master HD fail and secondary slave HD fail. It is not seeing the Primary master'

My daughter had a message very much like yours couple of weeks ago and I also barked up the virus tree but after a lot of head banging, removed the hard drive with the intention of trying it on a different system and I found at that point that the chipset on the hard drive had burnt out.

If you are in a position to do so, check the hard drive chip, just a idea.

29-11-2001, 06:54 PM
And, of course, since the top priority is to see if the computer works: unplug the hard drives, and pull all except one stick of memory. Then build up from that. If you can boot a floppy there is hope. If the only disk is a write-locked floppy, any virus can't do any more harm to your data.

29-11-2001, 06:55 PM
Thanks Gordon, I'll try that later when the options diminish, but at the moment the inability to boot a floppy points to something more fundamental than a dead primary drive. It would be pushing coincidence too far to think that the two secondary drives would also fail at the same time. Computer runs off an UPS so getting spiked is not too likely either.

I'm about to reset the defaults so I'll post the outcome once known.

Billy 8-{@