PDA

View Full Version : Download Speed- new Wireless adaptor?

Clod
20-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Just curious- have a Netcomm NB6Pus 4win ADSL2 router with 11n wireless. Wifes laptop and daughters computer are faster on downloading pages etc from net (daughter just has a wireless adaptor from Dick Smith). My wireless adaptor is a Netgear WG111v2 54 Mbps which I've had for 7 yrs. Wondering if something newer like a Netgear WMA 3100 N300 or Belkin N600 would give me faster download times. Any thoughts?

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2013, 10:15 AM
It may do, but likely you're already connecting at a faster speed to your router than your internet speed is.

"faster download times", where from, as an example? Do you have a specific site you're using? Or just web browsing in general?

Clod
21-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Just in general even going to NZ pages.

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2013, 04:17 PM
OK so if the other devices in your home are all OK, then I'd suggest it's *not* the wireless adapter.
I'd begin looking at what's running on the device, Malware / anti-virus. Try using Chrome and see if that makes a difference.
You could also look to using Google DNS and see if that helps also.

dugimodo
21-05-2013, 04:38 PM
If you want to prove it you could always swap the adapter with your daughter and see if it makes a difference, easily proven.
However I suspect Chill is correct and it's something else, how do the specs of the various machines compare, how much RAM, what OS, Browser etc?
Basically what else is different besides the adapter. Also what anti virus software, I find for example my windows 7 machine with kaspersky is much slower on some websites than windows 8 just using defender but the windows 7 machine is much more powerful and using a faster SSD, reminds me I must ditch kaspersky. Both machines are on ethernet plugged into the same router.

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2013, 05:12 PM
reminds me I must ditch kaspersky. Both machines are on ethernet plugged into the same router.

Do the right thing, get NOD32 ;)