PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Cloning Software

Iantech
20-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Whats everyone using at the moment that's good?

My Cloning Dock only does SATA and I have an old IDE drive from a client that is developing bad sectors (16 KB) so was just going to clone the drive to another one I have here via software. I downloaded and tried DriveImage XML but wouldn't go past the bad sectors.

I would generally do a full backup and do a fresh install on the new drive and load it back up, but as this job is worth nothing, I'm not going to spend hours setting up a fresh XP so was just going to clone what there is to another drive.

I read a post recently where WT mentioned some image software, I tried going back through some old posts, but couldn't find it, hopefully you could tell me what it was again.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

gary67
20-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Active@ on Wainui's recommendation works very well and the new version is faster than the old, give the free trial a go as it has full functionality

Davoid
20-05-2013, 03:34 PM
+1 for Active@Disk Image

Iantech
20-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Sweet, looks like they now have a freeware version (Lite) that will do just what I want it to do, giving it a go now. Cheers.

B.M.
20-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Iíve used Paragon Drive Copy with 100% success.

What I like about it is the drives donít have to be the same size or type.

Iíve copied a couple of Laptop drives (via a USB Dock) to different size and make of drives with total success.

In fact, only today I copied my 40GB laptop drive to a 60GB Solid State one without a problem so far. Fingers crossed. I can see whatís on the new drive I just havenít had time to plug it in to see if it will boot. No problem with the other drives but the Solid State part of this latest one has me a tad concerned. :)

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2013, 05:13 PM
I might have to look that up then.

Provided the destination drive is bigger or equal size as the source drive, I basically just boot off a Linux Live CD and use "dd" to do it.
Take all of 30 seconds to boot a distro then walk away and come back later.

If you can get them both as "secondary" drives in a system, then SelfImage was always cool for a windows-based imaging solution.

But yeah will have a nosey at Active@Disk Image some time :)

wainuitech
20-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Active @ doesn't care what size the original and accepting drive sizes are :) as long as the drive the data is going "to" is capable of taking all the data /original size,then it will simply copy it, obviously it wont work if you are trying to clone 200 GB of data to a 160GB drive ;)

bk T
20-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Active @ doesn't care what size the original and accepting drive sizes are :) as long as the drive the data is going "to" is capable of taking all the data /original size,then it will simply copy it, obviously it wont work if you are trying to clone 200 GB of data to a 160GB drive ;)

Even if the 200GB is only half-full?

CYaBro
20-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Even if the 200GB is only half-full?

Note the use of the word "data" from wainuitech. :D
So if your 200GB is only half full that's 100GB of data which will fit on a 160GB HDD.

wainuitech
20-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Doesn't matter on the drive size --- as I wrote :p -- 200GB of actual data Meaning if you have 200 GB of data its not going to fit on a HDD of 160GB.

Active @ will simply resize the partitions to suit the drive sizes. Some cloning/backup software wont clone/ put back a backup unless the new drive is the same size or larger than the original -- Windows 7 Backup comes to mind.

With W7 backup, if you had a 500GB drive with 100GB used, and tried to put it back on a 320GB drive, even though there is enough room its protests saying not enough space.

gary67
20-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Also Active can image over a network while Win7 home premium cannot, that was the main + for me and the option of making a boot disc so you can run it on any windows PC. Also heavily reduced fees (its cheap anyway) when a new version comes out