PDA

View Full Version : Transferring files to a new computer.

Tony
20-05-2013, 01:26 PM
My next door neighbour's PC has died (not before time). We have got her a replacement, a laptop, and now we have to get her data onto the new machine. My plan is to remove the HDD from the dead PC, plug it into my PC, copy all her stuff to an external HDD, then plug the external drive into the new laptop and copy the files again.

When I try to do the copy, it balks at her user folder in documents and settings with "access denied". How do I override that? The PC I am using for the copy is Win XP.

TIA

20-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Could be either a permissions issue
or encrypted user folder(not very likely)

If you cant even open the doc folder to see whats in it ......
IF its just a permissions issue, right click the folder, properties,security, advanced, owner + change owner to (tick the replace on subcontainers box below as well)
Or use a Linux based boot CD to copy the files (eg paragon)

pcuser42
20-05-2013, 01:46 PM
FWIW, Windows 7/8 (and I think Vista) can override permissions with a single click. If you can, connect the old HDD directly to the new computer to copy, it'd also be faster.

Tony
20-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Both the original PC and the PC I am using were/are Win XP. I can't transfer directly because the source HDD is a Maxtor ATA 40gb internal drive, and the target is a laptop.

I don't see any of those security options when I right-click on the folder.

The Paragon idea is a good one, though.

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Take ownership of it (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/)

Tony
21-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Take ownership of it (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/)Well yes, except I couldn't see how to do that in XP. In fact I used the Paragon rescue CD as suggested by 1101, and that all worked fine. The files are all transferred now.

Thanks everyone for the help.