PDA

View Full Version : Linux/windows Startup question

29-11-2001, 12:14 PM
Hey there everyone,
I've decided to temporarily uninstall my Linux partition to make room for a new windows data partition. At the moment, turning on my computer goes like this:

*startup leads to Redhat Linux 7.2 bootup screen with option of Dos or Linux

*Choosing Linux boots Redhat Linux 7.2.

*choosing Dos then gives me another, windows XP based bootup screen, with the option of windows XP or Windows 98se.

seeing as I want to delete Linux, I wanna delete the partition (using partition magic), but I figure I'll need to some how disable the bootup screen somehow - suggestions please?

Thank you in advance,
Jonathan Giles

29-11-2001, 12:37 PM
eww why are you using that old redhat 7.2?

in dos type fdisk /mbr

Then reinstall windows over itself. All fixed and you don't loose any windows settings or progs.

Next time you install linux, install the boot loader onto fd0 (a floppy fisk)

29-11-2001, 12:43 PM
isn't there a gentler way than that? I'm kinda reluctant to reinstall windows, and would've thought it's configurable in Linux.

if no one else suggests, i'll do your way :)

Thanks for the quick response,
Jonathan giles.

29-11-2001, 01:17 PM
You can uninstall LILO (boot loader) from within linux. Can't be more speciific as I don't know about your setup.

29-11-2001, 01:22 PM
What do you need to know?
It's a stock-standard install of Redhat Linux 7.2.

i'm unsure about the kernal as I'm very new to linux.
Sorry to not be of much help,
but I would much appreciate any help you can suggest.

Jonahan

29-11-2001, 04:06 PM
Eeekkk - I haven't tried Windows/XP (and have no intention to!) but from Win9x you can just get a DOS prompt and run FDISK /MBR.

You don't need to reinstall anything. This just writes the Windows boot record over the top of LILO.

29-11-2001, 04:15 PM
If this was a bog standard installation, linux saved the original mbr in /boot when it installed LILO.

'lilo -u' should restore it to aswas.

Have you not done 'man lilo'?