PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to IE6?

29-11-2001, 12:09 PM
Very tempted to upgrade to IE6 from the latest disk from Interner Mag
But getting mixed message -from several directions - about its compatibility with Win98SE and a few other system+ files?
Guess we are more likely to hear the downside of upgrades than the positive experiences - but just dont need to upgrade if there are hassles
Regards, Simon

29-11-2001, 12:34 PM
...i have not used IE6 and have no comment to make regarding it.

You might find the following site - 'How to Upgrade Internet Explorer the Right Way' (sic)- a helful and interesting read:

http://windows.about.com/library/bl_iedownload_a.htm

Good luck!!!

e_

29-11-2001, 12:45 PM
I've been using IE6 for a couple of months now. It's not a hell of a lot different from 5.5 or 5.01 except for the pop-up toolbar that appears when you hover the mouse over a picture.

If you want to try something completely different then try netscape 6.1 (also on the cover disk)

29-11-2001, 12:47 PM
I'm also using win98SE and I upgraded to IE6, was a little hesitant to do it but its working fine, no major crashes of late.

29-11-2001, 01:02 PM
I am using IE6 and OE 6 on several win98se machines. Aslo installed it on the inlaws machine as Netscape was giving them grief. Happy to report that no problems whatsoever reported on amy PC's.

As mentioned before, with any installation of such a crucial program, the best way to do it is the right first time way.

GG

29-11-2001, 03:47 PM
I think you are better off to try opera my self if you want a small and fast browser ver 5.11 is what i use

30-11-2001, 07:34 AM
I was installed the IE6 came 3 counts have trouble on my computer. I believe that IE6 result

* leak memory
* Corruption the FreeCell games
* No picture when off-line (Picture can work as On-line the web).

I don't know why tha IE6 did corruption the Registry. I was hell that IE6 did devil. Now I un-nstalled the IE6 and return back IE5.5. I am happy that IE5.5 are better result. Where I found the Newsgroup at microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser have over 11,000 messages did trouble shoot and corruption the system.

You have feel *Deeply sigh* !

30-11-2001, 05:25 PM
Rofl, nice england Michael.