PDA

View Full Version : Avast doesn't know me!?

Vince
19-05-2013, 01:59 AM
I am trying to change my profile email address in Avast.
I am a registered user and when I open the program and click on "Account" the email address Vinc...xDenxyahoo.ETC. is displayed as the one I am logged in with. It is my valid email address.

Yahoo is so clunky that I an trying to divorce it, and use another supplier. Avast keeps telling me that this address is invalid, and will not send me an email to help me recover the correct password.

I have somehow accumulated 3 different Avast passwords and can't seem to find which should be used in this instance. I have tried with both my ISP email and my new .com one with no success. I have tried every combination of email and password with no luck.
What can I do?:help:

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Email them or post in their forum

Vince
19-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Email them or post in their forum

How do I do either when they won't accept my email - a required part of my Identity - as valid?

Don't you remember me. I've been a member of this forum since 1999:)

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Go to their forum then, register first (http://www.avast.com/en-au/support)

gary67
19-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Just un install it and go with something better, since they can't even get that part of it right. I don't believe in registering for something without a very good reason

wainuitech
19-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Just un install it and go with something better, since they can't even get that part of it right. I don't believe in registering for something without a very good reason +1

You get what you pay for in service = Free AV (that's not that good anyway) so expect the service to match what you pay.

autechre
20-05-2013, 10:17 AM
why not uninstall Avast (clearing out any registry entries) & reinstall using your new email address?

Vince
21-05-2013, 08:02 AM
why not uninstall Avast (clearing out any registry entries) & reinstall using your new email address?

Because it is a hassle that i am trying to avoid.

By the way, I disagree with some of the posts above. I haven't been able to find an antivirus that offers better protection, and I have tried ALL the ones that forum members have rated "The Best". I am all over the web every day and I never get viruses. (Touch wood) :)

PS.. I find avast the easiest AV, to live with.

gary67
21-05-2013, 09:15 AM
That is something I cannot agree with I find Avast a pain in the proverbial. I find for a free one MSSE kicks Avast every time and Nod32 is the best of the paid stuff. I too have not had a virus for years but I found Avast popups incredibly annoying

autechre
21-05-2013, 09:37 AM
That is something I cannot agree with I find Avast a pain in the proverbial. I find for a free one MSSE kicks Avast every time and Nod32 is the best of the paid stuff. I too have not had a virus for years but I found Avast popups incredibly annoying

I dont think i've seen a single popup in Avast... maybe you're thinking of Avira?

MSSE has gone way downhill in the last year or 2 if the AV tests are anything to go by. Avast (& most of the other free AV suites) kick MSEEs butt.

Vince
21-05-2013, 10:17 AM

If you don't want Avast popups you can simply turn them off!

21-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Avast have started sneaking in other bundled software now. They 'claim' this was a mistake & you can opt out , but its often forced through with no opt out (eg Google Drive) . They have known about this for quite some time but still seem to be denying it.

Not the sort of sneaky underhand thing I'd want from a Company Im relying on to keep the PC clean.
Running out of options for Freeware AV now. Many wont scan email (This is one area where NOD32 is quite good)
AVG is bloatware
Avir popups put me & many others off that program .
MSSE seems to be getting less effective(not unexpected given MS's previous AV software attempts)

Vince
21-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I already use Google drive, why don't you do the same? It's free harmless and useful.:)

I understand you though, people, that should be "Websites' keep trying to get me join Facebook.
I spent 3 years on Facebook without finding anyone who could communicate; so I quit!:(

PS. I have posted a question on Avast Forum ( what a mess compared with PressF1 ), we will see if they help.