PDA

View Full Version : Auto power-off thing.

29-11-2001, 07:53 AM
Hi all,
Recently, I got a new harddrive. Got everything installed fine. But there is one thing that doesn't work. Before I got this new hard disk, when I shut down the computer it would automatically turn itself off. now it stays at the It is now safe to turn off your computer screen. I have to turn it off myself. It's not that it's hard to turn it off, its just that I'd prefer it back the way it was.

Thanks,
-AT

29-11-2001, 08:12 AM
Forgot to add this before, I'm running windows 98 second edition.

29-11-2001, 09:24 AM
Auto power off is a behavior of the Advanced Power Management (APM) feature. Check that APM is installed and setup correctly in the device manager (in control panel).

Auto power off may also not work if fast shut down has been enabled. To disable fast shut down, click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Information. On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility. On the General tab, click Advanced. Click the Disable fast shutdown check box, click OK, and then click OK again.

29-11-2001, 10:10 AM
It also has to be enabled in the bios. Under power magament there will be an option labeled something like soft power off.

29-11-2001, 11:45 PM
Thanks alot for the help, i couldnt find a Disable fast shutdown check box in the tools menu of the system information thing. ill try the other bios change after i reset. thanks =)