PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2010 & Dual monitor display

bk T
17-05-2013, 10:14 PM
When I click to open an Excel spreadsheet, it opens in say, Monitor 1 and when I click open another spreadsheet, it opens and overlaps the first spread in the same monitor. I cannot drag it to monitor 2, it's 'stuck' to the first spreadsheet; but if I launch Excel, go to Files - Open - click and select my 2nd spreadsheet , it works fine- I could drag the 2nd spreadsheet to wherever monitor I wish.

It's the same in both Win 8 and Win 7 computers; both running Office 2010.

Any explanation to the above?

Cheers

fred_fish
17-05-2013, 10:20 PM
1st case, both sheets are open in the one excel instance.
2nd case, another copy of excel starts containing the next sheet in it's *separate* window.
Edit: notice in the 2nd case you cannot switch between them with the excel "window" menu.

bk T
18-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Thanks,fred_fish. Your explanation makes sense.

But, if I open a Word doc the same manner as Excel spreadsheet, I could drag the 2nd doc another screen, it's not tied to the first doc.

fred_fish
18-05-2013, 12:16 AM
I think word defaults to separate instances (might be adjustable via an option somewhere).
MDI (Multiple Document Interface) is the google term for further reading.
Introduced with Office2k (i think) and fiddled with ever since. No idea what current office is supposed to behave like.

wainuitech
18-05-2013, 12:26 AM
There is a way to do it because I have mine opening separately - I did it with a file I came across, but do you think I can find in now :(

You have to edit the registry - the file did it automatically, I have located some manual instructions but I want to try them out first in case it screws something.

if you're up for some reg editing, - stay tuned :D

fred_fish
18-05-2013, 12:29 AM
I just have a shortcut pointing to "c:\blah\excel path\to\file.xls" for each one I keep in separate windows.

TeejayR
18-05-2013, 09:03 AM
I think another way to do this is to drag the excel instance across both monitors and the use the Arrange All vertical option to split the windows between the 2 monitors.

I'm sure I've done this at work with my 2 monitor setup but can't do this at the moment on my laptop at home.

If however you are looking for a permanent setup Wainuitech's solution will helpfully give you what you want

Trev

bk T
18-05-2013, 09:21 AM
There is a way to do it because I have mine opening separately - I did it with a file I came across, but do you think I can find in now :(

You have to edit the registry - the file did it automatically, I have located some manual instructions but I want to try them out first in case it screws something.

if you're up for some reg editing, - stay tuned :D

I'm waiting patiently for your positive results. :thanks

wainuitech
18-05-2013, 11:10 AM
I'll post the instructions that I'm gonna try, as I don't know when today I'll get a chance to try them ( SWMBO just told me what's "planned for today" ) ;).

If you want to do it yourself, make a restore point first so if it doesn't work or turns to custard you can run restore back to before starting.

http://dottech.org/26491/how-to-force-microsoft-excel-to-open-files-in-new-window-how-to-guide/

wainuitech
18-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Forget the link above, just tried it - didn't work, :( still opens as normal.

I'll try and find that exe file I used previously.

wainuitech
18-05-2013, 04:00 PM
UPDATE: Found it , but it only works with a 32bit OS Not on X64.

bk T
18-05-2013, 05:38 PM
That's Ok.

Anyway, Thanks, wainu. :thanks

wainuitech
19-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Don't give up yet, :nerd:

I have two PC's that have spread sheet usage linked to a server ( used daily several times) ones a X86 the other is X64 - The x86 version works 100% opening as you wanted.

I been doing some digging -- In real simple terms a X64 OS actually has a second subsystem Registry.

By changing the X86 reg keys that do work, it may just work on a X64 OS.

I have it altered already all set to go, just have to try it. Its either gonna work, do nothing OR make a total dogs breakfast of the OS and make it :badpc:

Will be tried on a workshop PC that if it screws the OS, no big deal.

As soon as I tried it, I'll post back and advise.

Another option :rolleyes: is to use Office 2013 -- that opens spread sheets in separate windows by default.