PDA

View Full Version : create a copy of c:drive and save it?

28-11-2001, 04:55 PM
I have partitioned my hard drive and would like to make a copy of my working drive 'C' and save the copy to my partition 'D' so that I can reinstall everything back if I wanted to. I have norton ghost and wonder if anyone can tell me how to do this.

28-11-2001, 05:16 PM
CR

If you already have Norton Ghost I suggest that you RTFM because although not a particularly complicated process, you need to do it the way the manual says. There are no shortcuts.

If you haven't got the manual? Well, one comes with every bought copy.

Rather than me try to precis the manual for you, better you get into it and ask more questions if you get stuck.

See also the answers to Susan a few lines down the page.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

28-11-2001, 05:43 PM
Working from memory here..RUn Ghost within windows; options from main menu as follows: LOCAL; PARTITION; TO IMAGE.

Then follow your nose to select the source drive (your C:) and destination drive (your D:). Choose high compression too.

This will place an image of your C available for future use. In future you make a windows boot disk, boot to Dos, run ghost from a floppy drive, then re-image your C: from the image stored in D:.

Even better if you can stick the image onto a CD (and make a bootable CD if your bios allows these) then you can boot from CD and re-image from CD, realy easy way to install a new HDD too...

28-11-2001, 11:03 PM
That's real dangerous advice to give a beginner Steve. Norton do not guarantee succcessful operation from within Windows and warn that cloning or imaging files that are in use may result in an unusable image. That's no help at all if the user is relying on a ghost image as a back up. It might be OK for imaging a data drive but even then I'd be careful.

Also, ghost can only run in a Windows OS that has a DOS foundation. It will not run in Windows on NT, Win2000, or WinXP.

I repeat my advice: Read the manual, make a DOS boot disk and do your imaging and cloning safely. It's too big a gamble to operate ghost within windows when you simply don't need to.

Billy 8-{)

29-11-2001, 01:53 AM
You can back up your c: drive using cd creator 5 but you need a cd burner and lots of cds not sure if you can reinstall it onto d: drive however though it shouldnt be a problem? Welcome to contact me if you want to
?kiwibeat@hotmail.com