PDA

View Full Version : Networking Problem

28-11-2001, 12:46 PM
I have 2 pcs running win98se networked through a 10/100mb hub.

I had to reinstall windows on one because of a problem and I'm having trouble getting the network setup again.

I've got all the right protocols installed, made a name to identify, printer/file sharing is on and both pcs have ips assigned.

Anyways I can find the other pc through find/computer but when I dbl click to access it I get a not accessible, user on logged on msg, this is weird because on the other pc they both show up in network neighbourhood and the other pc is accessible.

Sorry for the lack of details but I'm new to networking.

Any ideas?

28-11-2001, 01:08 PM
hi m r

you may possibly find one is set to 'user level' access control and the other to 'share level' Both should be on share level access control.

28-11-2001, 01:43 PM
Also I think you need to actually make something shared on the computer you are trying to access.

28-11-2001, 02:05 PM
Can the pc with the problem see it'self in network neibhourhood?

28-11-2001, 02:10 PM
No it cant all I have in network neighbourhood is entire network and when i dbl click on that i get network is not accessible error msg, however on other pc both show up in network neighbourhood and are accessible.

thnx for replies.

28-11-2001, 02:56 PM
How similar are the two PCs?

You could try opening the Network Properties on the PC that's working okay, and copy ALL the settings through to the other PC, and see if that works. If its a network problem, that should solve it (if you've set domains, you'll probably need to change it, but everything else should pretty much be the same setting.)

28-11-2001, 05:32 PM
If you're going to use IP addresses - make sure they're in the reserved private range!

If you're looking at Class C: addresses the valid range is 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Anything 192.x OUTSIDE that range can clash with a registered IP address on the net

28-11-2001, 07:42 PM
Remove all Protocols and
Clients and reboot.
Remove all shared resources.

Apply sharing to The 'C' drive on both machines.
Reboot both machines

Install:

'Client for Microsoft Networks'

'Netbeui' on both machines & 'TCP/IP' only on the main machine.

Enable 'File and Printer Sharing'

Check the workgroup name and check again that each machine has a unique name.

Reboot, can they see each other now?

Are you using ICS?
Post back with result.

28-11-2001, 07:52 PM
I don't think having them both share level access and file and printer sharing is enough.

You have to make sure that you have actually enabled sharing on a folder or hard drive or printer, as well, before you can get access to the computer.