PDA

View Full Version : DVD ROM

28-11-2001, 01:11 PM
This is probably a silly question but, is a DVD ROM zoned? or is the software zoned?
I've never taken notice of dvd roms but now I've found out I'm being given one

28-11-2001, 01:32 PM
Okay, I hope I can explain this without confusing everybody...

A DVD Disk is set to a certain zone (sometimes 2 zones), so that it will only play in players/ROMs that are set to that zone.

A DVD Player (not DVD ROM) is generally factory set to a particular zone, so it'll only play DVDs set to that zone (or non-zone ones).

A DVD Rom is NOT factory set, it is set by what you play in it. Usually it allows you to change what zone you use 5 times, then it locks to the last one played on. It is not controlled by the player software, but it is internal in the DVD (part of the DVD ROM BIOS).

I hope this makes sense for you!

28-11-2001, 01:53 PM
Thanx, now I just have to find a TV OUT device so that i'm not stuck with 15' movies :)

28-11-2001, 01:55 PM
There was a website that provided 'upgrades' for gear like the Creative PC-DVD Dxr series (and others) to overcome this 'problem'. Danged if I can remember where it was, sorry! But it might be worth a search or two.

28-11-2001, 02:10 PM
Another silly question.

What zone are we in?

28-11-2001, 02:10 PM
you can get cracks for the dvd player but it is risky, voids the warranty and will not work if the drive has been used more than 5 times.

then u can get the cracking software to crack the software player.

which is very handy. i have played 3 zone 4 dvds but the player software sees then all as different zones..hugh?? thankfully i have the crack so it won't lock the player.

just ripped terminator2. full sized highest quality.....8 hours to convert and i end up with 1.6gig movie of perfect quality. next mission is to covert it to 600meg in size.

28-11-2001, 02:21 PM
Very cool

What software do you use to rip and get it down to 600 meg?

28-11-2001, 03:57 PM
For details on changing DVD-ROM to all zone go to: www.digital-digest.com/dvd/index.html or http://dvd.box.sk-pid=firm

29-11-2001, 02:06 PM
Do I detect that you want a DVD mainly for watching movies. If that is the case, just buy a DVD player.... you will still be able to use your PC at the same time as watching movies, and you will be able to do all the tricky stuff that players allow you to do....

29-11-2001, 02:31 PM
No not just for watching movies. I'm being givem it as a gift and I would like to watch movies larger than 15 inches