PDA

View Full Version : Fix-It Utilities

Driftwood
16-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Looking at a laptop that has some problems.
It's running Fix-It as the main line of defence.
What are your views on it.

pcuser42
16-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Isn't Fix-It just a bunch of automated scripts by Microsoft that fixes certain issues with your computer?

Driftwood
16-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I think it's this one but it's not functioning properly & I can't open it to have a look.

http://fixitutilities.avanquest.com/

wainuitech
16-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Never seen any of these programs do much good.

You can do everything they claim to do and more by either the inbuilt programs in the OS or free programs that are designed to "fix" certain problems.

Bit like the so called "speed up " programs, why install a program that uses resources to start with to try and speed things up, a person can do more good by basic house keeping and manually disabling certain programs on startup via msconfig. There's lots of registry cleaners that do more damage than good as well.

Edited:
I think it's this one but it's not functioning properly & I can't open it to have a look There you go Point taken :) wouldn't be at all surprised if it has done something ( possibly in the registry) to screw things up.

Driftwood
16-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Yea that's the one.
Just that the owner has paid for it & was expecting it to work as an antivirus.
I wanted to get your views on it before I tossed it.

wainuitech
16-05-2013, 11:30 PM
I edited out before you answered the link. May have been confusing otherwise.

You're on the right track, Personally I'd remove it with Revo uninstaller Portable, using the advanced mode, taking out the Reg and program files. Revo-Uninstaller-Download Links (http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Portable-Revo-Uninstaller-Download-101737.html) you download it, unzip, and run the exe which creates a folder in the same location as the exe with the uninstaller inside, that way you can put the whole folder on a USB drive and run from that.

Got a vista PC here now, had 3 different "speed up" programs installed, as soon as I un-installed those 3, the speed increased instantly :rolleyes: