PDA

View Full Version : Ghosting/Imaging a drive

28-11-2001, 11:26 AM
Reformat countdown continues...

Now, quite a few people say they Ghost or Image their nice clean system after a format -- how do you do that? Do you need the program Ghost or is there another way?

Is the image or ghost compacted and how is windows copied entirely when a lot of the files are in use -- DOS command maybe?

Thank you!!

28-11-2001, 11:46 AM
i use nortons ghost but there are others. it will copy all files including those in use even when it is being run from windows. there is an option to compress the image.

28-11-2001, 12:15 PM
Susan

I use Norton Ghost and it is recommended that the process be carried out in DOS, however command line activity is not needed. The program will create a boot disk that automates the loading of Ghost and from there on it is mousing as usual with just file name entries to be typed.

You can also customise the boot disk to maximise compression as there are 9 levels avaiable. IF you use the default you only get three choices I think, low/med/high but high is not as good as 9.

There are a lot of switches available to customise the process and I set it to ignore ghost files (who wants a ghost of a ghost?) temp, tmp, txt and a pile of other dros that I don't need to back up. You can also get it to ignore *.dat files and clean out all of that rubbish each time you restore your backup.

The interface is a bit arcane but if I can use it anybody can. Remember though, as Ghost works at DOS level it can't see NTFS data. You can do some ghosting with NTFS but for full NTFS support you need the commercial version.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

28-11-2001, 07:42 PM
Hello again Susan,

Either Ghost or Powerquests Drive Image wil do what you want easily (a retail version of either is going to cost you around $200.00) I have a suggestion for you, place an ad in trade & exchange or similar for an OEM version, I know until recently all Soltek motherboards came with Nortons Ghost including Manual, they now ship with Drive Image and manual included many people will have no use for this utility and will be willing to part with it for a fraction of the $200.00.

Just a suggestion.

Alan

28-11-2001, 07:57 PM
If you already have any Nortons on your computer go to Symantics site and click on 'upgrades' there is an 0800 number which is even better. I did this and got offered 'Systemworks 2002 Pro' which includes Ghost and Roxio Goback for NZ$160.00 freight included. Needless to say I grabbed it with both hands my feet and anything else I could. Try it.