PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 update crashes computer

Tony
16-05-2013, 08:45 AM
I've just installed the latest win7 updates and now my PC won't boot. It gets to the swirly windows logo and then I get flash of a BSOD and it tries to reboot. This also happens if I try safe mode and last good configuration.

I've tried a startup repair and it says it can't automatically fix it. The extended info implies the system disk is corrupted. I can't do an offline system restore because the OS is not recognised.

So where do I go now? I'm currently running the Paragon repair booted from CD, and it is checking the disk.

Any other ideas?

wainuitech
16-05-2013, 08:53 AM
What you can try is booting from the W7 Repair CD, as long as you can get to the Options, open a command prompt, type chkdsk C: /r

If it doesn't run type chkdsk D: /r
The reason for D is when running from the CD, the hidden partition is actually C and the OS is D

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Hold F8 down and disable auto restart. So you can see what the BSOD is saying. There was a prob with an update (KB2823324) with Win7 32 bit last mth. Dont think yesterdays update would have crashed Win7. Well it was fine here, installing them on the netbook

MS created an ISO / fixit cd for the above update crash (http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=38435)

Trev
16-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Yesterdays updates have not affected my W7 64bit computer.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2013, 09:39 AM
The crash last mth (with KB2823324) only affected 32 bit, that's why the fixit cd is for 32 bit only

Trev
16-05-2013, 09:43 AM
I've just installed the latest win7 updates and now my PC won't boot. It gets to the swirly windows logo and then I get flash of a BSOD and it tries to reboot. This also happens if I try safe mode and last good configuration.

I've tried a startup repair and it says it can't automatically fix it. The extended info implies the system disk is corrupted. I can't do an offline system restore because the OS is not recognised.

So where do I go now? I'm currently running the Paragon repair booted from CD, and it is checking the disk.

Any other ideas?

Are you 32 or 64 bit.
:)

Tony
16-05-2013, 09:59 AM
It's 64 bit win7 professional.

I've tried chkdsk from the windows install disk and it says it fixed a couple of errors, but still can't boot. I can boot into Vista or Linux (different physical disks) so it is not a fundamental hardware problem.

I'm just running chkdsk from within Vista. When that has completed I'll re-boot and do the F8 thing to see if I can read the BSOD.

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Dont think an update caused it then

Tony
16-05-2013, 10:33 AM
OK, I tried F8, but still can't interrupt the BSOD. I get to the usual "Windows did not start normally" screen, and whatever I select I eventually get the BSOD.

How do I disable automatic restart if I can't get into the OS? Is it a BIOS option?

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2013, 10:41 AM
You press F8 / hold it down till the menu comes up. Then select disable auto restart, then reboot

Tony
16-05-2013, 11:25 AM
You press F8 / hold it down till the menu comes up. Then select disable auto restart, then rebootI'm not seeing "disable auto restart". Is it on the same screen as "start windows normally" etc?

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Its called disable automatic restart on system failure I think. Well thats whats its called on the netbook I've got Win7 on.

Tony
16-05-2013, 12:20 PM
OK, I found it. If you press F8 during a normal boot you get the screen with the right option. I was seeing the abnormal start screen, which doesn't include that option. Anyway, I finally got to see the BSOD, and it is an 07b error, which as far as I can tell from searching could be any number of things, but most likely a hard drive controller error. I think I'm up for a Win7 reinstall, which is something I could do without atm.

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Did someone change AHCI to IDE mode (if its there, or vice-versa) in the BIOS recently?? Thats a sata driver BSOD. Meaning it cant see the hdd, so cant boot. Result a 0x0000007b stop error. Go into the BIOS see whats it's on now change it back. Then see if it boots into windows

If it was on IDE mode originally and you installed Win7, then changed it to AHCI after, it'll probably crash, with that stop error

Tony
16-05-2013, 12:33 PM
OK, I'll check that out, although I haven't been into the BIOS for ages.

If I boot into Vista, I can access files on the WIN7 partition, so I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the drive.

Tony
16-05-2013, 01:16 PM
The BIOS says AHCI

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2013, 01:18 PM
If it was on AHCI before change it to IDE mode if the option is there. Save settings then see if it boots into windows

Tony
16-05-2013, 02:09 PM
OK, I'm up and running, but it has all been a strange series of events:

I changed the BIOS setting from AHCI to IDE (I don't know what it was historically, but I hadn't changed it.)
The system booted into Win7 (Hooray!) and finished applying all the updates.
It told me I didn't have a genuine copy of Windows and made me go through validation - which it passed.
I rebooted again and it all went OK, but seemed to take longer than usual.
I rebooted again and changed the settings back to AHCI - and it failed again.
Changed to IDE again and it all booted OK.

Now here's an interesting bit: I checked the updates, and one was "AMD - other hardware, storage Controller - AMD SATA Controller". So I wonder if either the update changed the setting to AHCI, or the update was dodgy. How would I uninstall that update?

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Is it an AMD system?? Sounds like either the sata drivers are stuffed, or someone changed the setting from IDE mode to AHCI in the BIOS. The update in windows won't change the setting in the BIOS. They're different things.

Go to windowsupdate / view update history / click on installed updates at the top. Look for the KB then uninstall it. Then reboot

If WU is on auto change it to something else

Tony
16-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all your help Speedy.

Yes it is AMD.
I certainly didn't change the BIOS settings. I haven't been in there for months, and there is nobody else here to do it.
The update history shows it as an optional update - which I selected to install. It doesn't have a KB number.