PDA

View Full Version : onboard graphics

lostsoul62
14-05-2013, 06:57 AM
I don't know anyone who uses onboard graphics and I have always used a video card so my question is Aren't you paying for the onboard graphics that your not using. Is there motherboards that don't have onboard graphics so you can get more bang for your buck?

Slankydudl
14-05-2013, 07:05 AM
The price difference between a chip set that supports it and one that doesn't is not that large and it has proven itself to be useful. When I had to RMA my GPU I was able to use onboard for the week it was gone.

gary67
14-05-2013, 07:37 AM
The only reason I stopped using onboard on this desktop is because I needed two monitors while studying CAD, one for working on and one for the tutorials

wainuitech
14-05-2013, 08:05 AM
I don't know anyone who uses onboard graphics and I have always used a video card so my question is Aren't you paying for the onboard graphics that your not using. Is there motherboards that don't have onboard graphics so you can get more bang for your buck? Its not quite as simple as having / not having onboard graphics.

Just looking at my suppliers sites, The majority of intel CPU motherboards all come with onboard graphic's. The boards that don't have onboard graphics are all ATI. (AMD CPU's)
Also you'll find the boards that don't have onboard Graphics are ATX, and are actually more expensive than the mATX layout, which are a smaller board, less PCI slots generally.

The onboard graphics these days are much better and clearer than they used to be.

dugimodo
14-05-2013, 08:49 AM
In the case of intel chips the current range almost all have a graphics core in the processor so not having a board that allows access to it is wasting a feature of the CPU. Myself running dual monitors I use my graphics card for one and onboard for the other, my theory is when I'm gaming on one and doing other stuff on the other it will load the graphics card up less than if they both connected to it. In practice it makes little difference but that was my reasoning. Also it's an easy way to enable quicksync on my machine which has it's uses for video encoding occasionally - intel quicksync far outperforms AMD & Nvidia for encoding speed and at better quality.
I've tried the virtu software for the same reason but it has not worked well for me.

pablo d
14-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Yeah it's the CPU that has the graphics processor built into it these days, not the motherboard. You're not paying that much extra for it, and as above it may come in useful for you one day.

14-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't know anyone who uses onboard graphics

the MAJORITY of PC owners are using onboard graphics.
90% of the PC's sold will be onboard graphics (my guess)
Vid cards are only needed for gaming & multimonitor (and sometimes CAD)

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2013, 10:54 AM
These 2 mobos dont have onboard video, and theyre not ATI they're Intel

Agent_24
14-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Yes, you are paying for something you are not using.

BUT, as the others have said, most motherboards that don't come with an IGP (or have it disabled) are typically high-end gaming boards. Which means the extra features\performance they have will make them cost more anyway.

If you want to save money just buy the cheapest board that fits your requirements. But don't cheap out too much with a crap brand, they won't last long.