PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Deleted Files

Roscoe
13-05-2013, 10:29 AM
My laptop crashed and I was unable to get it up and running again. The only option that appeared open to me was to reinstall Windows which I did. Now it is running again and I can see some of the files that I had before the crash but unfortunately not all. There are some files that I really would like to recover but I do not know how to go about that.

Is there a programme that I can download (preferably free) that will allow me to recover those files?

Thanks very much for your help.

Nick G
13-05-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Bryan
13-05-2013, 11:48 AM
You might find that having reinstalled Windows, some of the files you want might have been over written. You should consider backing up your files regularly when you are up and running.

Roscoe
13-05-2013, 01:33 PM
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Thanks for that, Nick. I will have a go this afternoon.

13-05-2013, 02:14 PM
** VERY IMPORTANT **

If you want to do a data recovery....
do NOT save anything to that hard drive, do not write to that hard drive. Do not recover to that hard drive.

It seems a bit strange that you can see only some 'files' after the Windows re-install. Usually it would be all or none (documents etc)
They may be a fault with the hard drive itself (perhaps originally corrupt directory structure ??)

Agent_24
13-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Testdisk might work better than Recuva. I tested Recuva once and wasn't very impressed.

GetDataBack is pretty good. So is File Scavenger, especially the new version 4, which has big improvements over v3. Unfortunately neither of those are free.

Rod J
13-05-2013, 05:50 PM
+1 for Testdisk. It can take a long time to scan the drive but it's very thorough.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Roscoe
14-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your help, Nick - and everyone else. I did run Recuva and it found 145,858 files for me. I found quite a few files that I wanted and there were some that it could not find. I will run Testdisc and see how that goes.

Thanks, everybody. Most helpful.

Marian261
22-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Old post! But, I also would like to share my stories with you to help other people.

In fact, the deleted files on a hard drive or memory card are not actually erased as we think normally. It is only the space used to save these files that is marked as “Available room” for new data. Namely, these deleted files are still there till you write new data to rewrite them.

Therefore, before anything new data is written there, one always have chances to retrieve his data back at the help of data recovery software. That’s why you ca retrieve your data back after using Recuva.

So, after encountering the similar problems, one should act carefully to retrieve his data:

1. Do not save new data to rewrite the original data.

2. Download efficient data recovery software. Nowadays, there are plenty of data recovery tools out there. one is supposed to select a proper one according to his own conditions.

Except Recuva, there are also other data recovery freeware, such as PhotoRec, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

3. Follow the instructions to restore data.

4. Back up the restored data on a separate drive or location.

Tips: Data recovery software could be the best way to restore data. SO, one should always make data backups, no matter what happens.