PDA

View Full Version : System crashes intermitant

27-11-2001, 06:45 PM
This one has got me guessing now ! P3 500 on asus p3v4x
256 ram pc133 16 mb agp
2x 20 gb seagate 7200 drives
dual boot win98 se and win2k
1st drive 2 parts fat 32 and ntfs, 2nd drive 3 parts (ntfs)
OK the system crash ! I get a message win nt autority will now shut down the computer in
xx secs please save your work !
When the restart happens the bios fails to recognise the HDD's so i get the boot error !
If i switch off wait 30 seconds and restart all works
ok till the next time !
I have spent time updating every thing , ran seagate sea tools and all says its ok ....
any suggestions as to where to look next????? thanks in anticpation !
ZZ

27-11-2001, 08:03 PM
Hello ZT,

One of the Tech's favourites the error that only happens when you don't want it to and never happens when you want to demonstrate it.
Thus could be any of a myriad of things, worth checking first would be the Ide cables for tight creases or damage and the pins on the hardrives for bad alignment these sort of things can often cause intermittent faults amother would be that the power cable connecting into the drive is not damaged (sometimes these get hard to pull off and the cables inside can be fractured causing intermittent problems also)
a good starting point.

Alan

27-11-2001, 09:52 PM
It may be caused by faulty RAM.

When you boot into win98 safe mode it will test the RAM, but I don't know how good it is at detecting problems.

I use an old dos program called PCCHECK.

28-11-2001, 06:57 PM
Testing memory properly is diabolically difficult. You can try a simple test.

If your 256MB is on two sticks, remove one, and run (slower)for a while. If that stops the crashes, buy a new one. If they continue, swap the sticks, and try again.
If you have only one stick, perhaps you could find a shop with a memory tester. Or buy another stick, and try it on its own. You'll need it for next year's software.

The start up memory 'checks' do not 'test'. They find how much there is.

One of the Linux HOWTO files is about the ability of the compiler to detect bad memory when compiling the system. Several of their contributors have managed to trade in memory which does not work under this severe test, but passes on the memory testers owned by the shops.