PDA

View Full Version : a few problems - multiple systems refuse to boot; all post fine.

Mirddes
12-05-2013, 06:48 PM
english is fun.

im doing something wrong.

i know it.

3 usb sticks, 3 computers.

linux, osx***, windows

the various linux I've tried have all, in the past, worked however since building my mums computer** NOTHING WILL BOOT ON ANYTHING

except for osx on my mums computer which didnt work for very long and didnt have working network/audio and multibeast put the final nail in the coffin.

but its still working better than anything else as ive got the installer working atleast.

attempting to boot a linux spits no operating system found / files missing/ other error.

my bobcat server needs some love too

if questions are asked i shall provide answers to further my problem towards remedy.

windows is not worth attempting as its broken-by-design-philosophy* makes it not worthy of <strike>pirating</strike> culture-sharing IMHO.

posted from hp laptop running, surprisingly, a legitimate copy of windows 7

**** E35M1-M PRO, ATX case, 4GB ram, dvd, intending to boot from USB stick.
** H77m-itx, celeron G1610, a1-1001, 32GB ssd, 2GB ram, currently no optical drive or card reader
*** torrented, 10.8, tried to buy a retail copy yesterday... will probably visit a reseller soon and buy it from the appstore IF CAN BE GOTTEN USB WORKAGE
* just trolling, windows is ok

im sorry, if you dont like me; im just me. have a great day.

Agent_24
12-05-2013, 07:13 PM
You're trying to boot your OS from USB drives?

Mirddes
12-05-2013, 08:29 PM
correct.

PPp
12-05-2013, 09:31 PM
What are you telling us? you may know what you are saying, but I for one haven't a clue.
Keep it simple, start at the beginning and finish at the end. Give all the details in between, in simple english.
Abstraction is clever, but clarity provides data, and data we can work with! English is fun!!

Agent_24
13-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Are you trying to boot an OS installed with one set of hardware on another machine? This may be your problem, especially if you are using Windows or OSX. Linux may have a better chance of working on a different machine but not always.

Check your USB drives for errors also, USB flash drives can often get corruption.

if you've plugged into a different USB port your drive names\letters etc may have changed somehow. This can also cause problems.

Were are your boot loaders installed? Do they know where to find your OS? (again, changing drives around may break things)

zqwerty
13-05-2013, 12:21 AM
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

dugimodo
13-05-2013, 08:21 AM
First Check the BIOS is set to boot from USB first, then try a linux live boot image on USB. The websites you download the images from usually have guides on how to create them onto a USB stick. If that works then there's something wrong with your OS installs on the drives. Booting from USB works pretty wel these days but it's a recent thing, used to be very hit and miss getting it to work and that hasn't entirely gone away. On the other hand I just installed windows from a USB DVDRW drive no problem at all.

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Update the BIOS on it first. Looks like the latest BIOS fixes some USB compatibility probs. Try something like Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) for Linux. You'll need an ISO

Dont think it supports OSX tho

Mirddes
13-05-2013, 11:36 PM
its really strange because a few weeks ago, maybe a month and a half ago, i was booting puppy linux from usb on pretty much every bit of hardware i came in contact with, including the hp laptop in question.

the day of building my mum's computer (h77m-itx) i am suddenly unable to boot anything. (except for the existing install of windows on the laptop)

i shall give YUMI and rufus a go.

Agent_24
14-05-2013, 09:17 AM
its really strange because a few weeks ago, maybe a month and a half ago, i was booting puppy linux from usb on pretty much every bit of hardware i came in contact with, including the hp laptop in question.

Puppy is a live distro so that should work. Check for corruption\errors on the USB drive in that case.

Have you tried reformatting and remaking the USB? Have you tried another USB drive?

Mirddes
14-05-2013, 12:33 PM

got puppy booting on h77m-itx

clearly my problems are only beginning.

all new hardware too.

ill try booting this stick on the laptop and server now.

Agent_24
14-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Probably the hardware is too new for the driver, which is why you are getting that video corruption.

Have you got the latest version of Puppy?

Perhaps try something newer, like the latest version of Ubuntu Live

Mirddes
14-05-2013, 04:03 PM
puppy 5.5

the gpu in the celeron G1610 isn't exactly something new.

that being said, i encountered no such problems with osx

Mirddes
14-05-2013, 05:06 PM
kudos to rufus; puppy boots on all 3 computers.

i downloaded ubuntu while i was out, will try it later tonight and report my findings.

Mirddes
14-05-2013, 05:35 PM
kudos to rufus; puppy boots on all 3 computers.

i downloaded ubuntu while i was out, will try it later tonight and report my findings.

Mirddes
14-05-2013, 06:10 PM
lots of mouse/typing lag after ~30min mark on e350 comp, i now remember this being why i stopped using it (and harddrive failures).
i suspect redrawing windows would be painful if puppy showed windows contents while moving windows around.

flawless performance before 30min mark.

various distros were used in the past; all suffered horribly after ~30min mark

about to try ubuntu on h77m-itx/g1610

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2013, 06:21 PM
If you mean the Asrock H7MM-itx update the BIOS on it. If it doesnt have 1.60 on it

Mirddes
14-05-2013, 06:39 PM
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/E35M1M_PRO/#support_Download_30 how do i update this bios using a usb stick? //ANSWER with ez flash 2 built into the bios, same as asus

with 'instant flash' updating the asrock h77m-itx will be straight forward enough

ill check the asus to see if it has a similar feature hidden away in the

updating bios' now

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2013, 06:55 PM
You didnt install AI charger did you?? Its not that good and can crash a system / cause probs

Mirddes
14-05-2013, 07:19 PM
bios update did not help h77m-itx situation
booted puppy on e35m1-m pro; will report back with findings in 30min ; hopefully the update did the trick.

nah speedy, i just used the tools in the bios on both computers.

Mirddes
15-05-2013, 01:13 AM
ubuntu runs flawlessly on h77m-itx

HOWEVER

ubuntu seems really really poorly designed.

compared to puppy its like comparing iphone to cray supercomputer

whats up with these regressions?

took me ages to find the software centre, and to install steam ubuntu wants me to create a ubuntu one account... this is very strange

is there an ubuntu variant featuring xfce?

puppy seems to be the best distro ever.

woe is me

HAVE A GREAT DAY

Agent_24
15-05-2013, 02:02 AM
is there an ubuntu variant featuring xfce?

Yes, it's called Xubuntu. It's what I use as I hate Unity.

You might also find Lubuntu interesting. (Uses LXDE)

Mirddes
15-05-2013, 09:12 AM
this is quite peverse

even xubuntu wants me to login to a launchpad account for the installation of steam

~connecting to payment service~

pretty much everythign else in trhe unbuntu sofware center simply has an install option

steam has a buy option.

right now it has occurred to me that maybe this is to facilitate ease of purchace of steam apps

however as far as im aware buying stuff on steam and elsewhere online is already a realitively painfree process.

seems awefully strange compared to all other package managers ive previously used... like an app STORE almost

Mirddes
15-05-2013, 09:24 AM
bit the bullet, logged into preexisting ubuntu launchpad account, must create my mum one i guess.

Agent_24
15-05-2013, 11:27 AM
this is quite peverse

even xubuntu wants me to login to a launchpad account for the installation of steam

seems awefully strange compared to all other package managers ive previously used... like an app STORE almost

You can avoid that by installing Steam manually from deb package. Download it here: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

I do not like the Software Center much either. Install Synaptic package manager if it's not installed already.

Mirddes
15-05-2013, 12:56 PM
it really amazes me how much less stuff other distros have when compared to puppy.

how do i find the uptime in xubuntu?

i assume there is tonnes of commandline stuff im missing out on due to my noobish blindness

Mirddes
15-05-2013, 01:21 PM
bios update seems to have fixed asus e35m1-m pro

thanks for all the help everyone :D

dugimodo
15-05-2013, 01:37 PM
I liked MINT when I tried it, maybe it's just because I'm more of a windows user though and it's more similar. I don't like silly things like putting the window minimise/maximise/close buttons on the opposite side of the window. Seems like being different for the sake of it and not because it's better.

I'll likely never make the change though Unless software creators in general start creating for Linux. I play with Linux again every year or so, am impressed with the improvements since last time, then go back to windows again because Linux is still in my opinion a niche OS for enthusiasts and not suitable for general use. Steam is a great start, but for gamers like me Linux is just not there yet.

Nick G
15-05-2013, 01:51 PM
I'll likely never make the change though Unless software creators in general start creating for Linux. I play with Linux again every year or so, am impressed with the improvements since last time, then go back to windows again because Linux is still in my opinion a niche OS for enthusiasts and not suitable for general use. Steam is a great start, but for gamers like me Linux is just not there yet.
Exactly the opposite of what I've found :p - I use Linux for day to day use, only use Windows when I want to do something I really can't on Linux, like game.

Agent_24
15-05-2013, 02:43 PM
it really amazes me how much less stuff other distros have when compared to puppy.

how do i find the uptime in xubuntu?

i assume there is tonnes of commandline stuff im missing out on due to my noobish blindness

Since Puppy is designed to run stand-alone, a lot of stuff is pre-installed. The same programs are available for most distros, you just have to install and configure them yourself.

Mirddes
17-05-2013, 11:14 AM
xubuntu runs great; boots in less than 10 seconds and seems quite stable.

sometimes i have to wait for an unresponsive app or restart. restarting takes less time and firefox happily recovers the session.

should be suitable for my mum for the next 20 years.

Mirddes
22-05-2013, 05:30 PM
my mum's monitor wont turn off when left alone. idealy id like the monitor to switch off after 10min and the entire system to sleep or hibernarte after 15. less is probably ideal with boots this fast.

right now the scrren blanks but the bascklight stays on.

hhave a great day.

Agent_24
22-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Checked the settings of xscreensaver? It's probably just running a blank screen screensaver and not putting the display into sleep mode.

Mirddes
22-05-2013, 09:42 PM
i ticked the turn monitor off box.

still just blanks the screen.

connected via VGA, no other connector on the $99 monitor. this shouldnt make a difference.

Agent_24
22-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Are we still talking about Xubuntu? Since I see no checkbox called "turn monitor off" on mine.

Bear in mind that what xscreensaver seems to call "Blank Screen" means "Start Screensaver"

For me, under the advanced tab, there's a box to enable power management. It works fine on my machine, turns both my monitors off (connected via DVI)

Mirddes
23-05-2013, 12:08 PM
correct, xubuntu under the advanced tab, these powermanagement options seem to have no effect. blanking the screen is the most progress i have made.

Agent_24
23-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Maybe it's a bug. What version of Xubuntu are you using? I have the 12.04 LTS version.

Mirddes
23-05-2013, 10:03 PM

painlessly detected the $5 802.11n USB i bought from dx.com