PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten password for router

Misty
12-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Greetings, we have a Thomson router but have forgotten the password. This has been a nuisance when we have visitors because they cannot link in to our network. Also just seen from another post that we can, of course, link by wi fi our desktop to our Sony Bravia TV. Would love to do this !!

I presume that I have to go into the router settings to change the password. Can I even do this without knowing what it is ?

Dumb questions, I know, but ooh, so long since I touched the router - am quite nervous of stuffing things up ! (or spending the whole day on it).

Help please !
Misty

CYaBro
12-05-2013, 10:01 AM
The thomson routers usually have the wireless password printed on a sticker on the bottom of the unit. Wpa key or something similar.
If not you can log into it and create a new wireless password without knowing the old one.

Nick G
12-05-2013, 10:04 AM
If you've forgotten the password, you'll have to do a reset of the router. There should be a button somewhere on the router, usually the kind you need to press with the sharp end on a pencil or the like, which will reset the router.

Edit - presuming you've changed the password from default?

Misty
12-05-2013, 10:04 AM
The thomson routers usually have the wireless password printed on a sticker on the bottom of the unit. Wpa key or something similar.
If not you can log into it and create a new wireless password without knowing the old one.

Hi CYaBro - I see the wireless key there - I will give it a go
Thanks !
Misty

Lawrence
12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
The Telecom site might be of help to you

http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/28357

sarel
12-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Underneath the router - just checked mine. It's there

sarel

bk T
12-05-2013, 12:58 PM
If you've changed the security password, try 192.168.1.254 to get access the webbase menu and look up the wireless password.

Iantech
12-05-2013, 02:26 PM
If you've forgotten the password, you'll have to do a reset of the router. There should be a button somewhere on the router, usually the kind you need to press with the sharp end on a pencil or the like, which will reset the router.

Edit - presuming you've changed the password from default?I am sure the original poster is refering to the wireless password, not the password of the modem. Giving this sort of advice for a lost wireless password is a bit dangerous and could leave the user without wireless connectivity and without internet access as well.

Nick G
12-05-2013, 04:46 PM
I am sure the original poster is refering to the wireless password, not the password of the modem. Giving this sort of advice for a lost wireless password is a bit dangerous and could leave the user without wireless connectivity and without internet access as well.
A reset via the reset button resets to default settings.....don't see how this would shut off wireless connectivity? The default settings of a router is wireless being on.

I am also sure the OP is referring to the wireless password. Presuming the OP has changed to wireless password from the default (which I'd like to hope everyone does), using the password on the bottom of the router will do nothing, because the password has been changed. Therefore, resetting the router (I never said anything about the modem) will reset the password back to the default, allowing you to change the password to what you want it to.

If I'm missing something here, please explain - learning is good :)

linw
12-05-2013, 04:53 PM
OK, learning phase. Most all modems these days come set up with a random wireless key. The key is written under the modem. No one needs to change it as it is different for each modem.

Lesson over!

Iantech
12-05-2013, 06:24 PM
A reset via the reset button resets to default settings.....don't see how this would shut off wireless connectivity? The default settings of a router is wireless being on.

I am also sure the OP is referring to the wireless password. Presuming the OP has changed to wireless password from the default (which I'd like to hope everyone does), using the password on the bottom of the router will do nothing, because the password has been changed. Therefore, resetting the router (I never said anything about the modem) will reset the password back to the default, allowing you to change the password to what you want it to.

If I'm missing something here, please explain - learning is good :)Hey Nick, In this case a Thomson router is a wireless modem router that was most likely issued by telecom, therefore using the reset button will reset the modem to defaults (which you were correct in saying). But doing this will also reset the broadband username and password. While this is not a factor with telecom (as telecom doesnt require a username and password - unless you have a fixed IP), many ISPs still require you to have a username and password, so reseting the modem/router will remove these settings and prevent you from accessing the internet until you log into the modem and setup up your username/password again (or run the setup disk that comes with the modem - which most people seem to misplace or throw out).

A straight router you would be fine.

Iantech
12-05-2013, 06:44 PM
OK, learning phase. Most all modems these days come set up with a random wireless key. The key is written under the modem. No one needs to change it as it is different for each modem.

Lesson over!Wellllll, maybe most you get directly issued from your ISP, but try an after-market one such as a D-Link or Netcomm from Dick Smiths or someone. Sometimes they have wireless enabled but with security disabled and requires you to login and enable security and set it up with a password (as well as vpi/vci for New Zealand these days) - or run the setup disk (sometimes still doesnt change the Australian settings).

Nick G
12-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Hey Nick, In this case a Thomson router is a wireless modem router that was most likely issued by telecom, therefore using the reset button will reset the modem to defaults (which you were correct in saying). But doing this will also reset the broadband username and password. While this is not a factor with telecom (as telecom doesnt require a username and password - unless you have a fixed IP), many ISPs still require you to have a username and password, so reseting the modem/router will remove these settings and prevent you from accessing the internet until you log into the modem and setup up your username/password again (or run the setup disk that comes with the modem - which most people seem to misplace or throw out).

A straight router you would be fine.
That is interesting, I didn't know that. Never used an ISP provided router.

Agent_24
12-05-2013, 08:11 PM

You should change it if you have a Thomson. A security issue exists because the default SSID and key are linked. If you know the SSID you can actually generate the default key yourself from it.

Vince
13-05-2013, 06:45 AM
I find a password utility like Password Safe is useful for insuring these hassles don't occur.
If I forget my routers password, (I did the other day), I just open PW Safe and there it is along with user name and any other information I might find useful.:)

linw
13-05-2013, 10:12 AM
You should change it if you have a Thomson. A security issue exists because the default SSID and key are linked. If you know the SSID you can actually generate the default key yourself from it.
Well, I'll be blowed. Looks like I've learnt a lesson! But, practically, I would bet 99.99% of owners won't have any problem.

Thanks for headsup.

beama
16-05-2013, 12:22 PM
if it the wireless key you want just goto the the properties of the wireless connection on a device that can connect and unhide password for the ssid you arre trying to connect to and there you have it

har
16-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Hi guys, just a quick tip. U might have seen in the May issue of PCWNZ that there is a website that has the default router passwords for nearly all the routers In the world. the website is called: http://www.routerpasswords.com/ :)

techiedude
16-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Most routers have a reset password, have you contacted the manufacturers about this if it was not included in the manual?