PDA

View Full Version : Best USB 2.0 Hubs?

Billy T
11-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I was sure I had asked this question, but for the life of me I can't find the post or any answers. :blush:

Following on from advice regarding my boot problem, the only flakey effect I have observed has been a USB connection dropping out and coming back in when I move my computer (which I have to do every time I want to empty my rubbish bin and paper recycle box) at least, it makes the appropriate noises for that action. No matter how gently I move it, I get the two-tone drop-out signal followed by the reconnection signal.

So, I am currently using a Jaycar four-port hub which replaces a seven-port hub from the same source that dropped ports one by one as it aged, then fell apart, but I'm pretty sure that the disconnection/reconnection alert/drop-out effect has happened with both hubs.

I think I should get a new one anyway, and I thought I had posted a request for recommendations for reliable Hubs. I need about five or six connections, but not all are active at the same time. The only permanent connections are my mouse and my HP1200 mono printer, both of which are 100% reliable. Other items are a Canon iP4200 inkjet, a Samsung CLP 320 Colour Laser and Canoscan 9000 scanner but these are usually switched off.

So, what brands and where to buy? For USB-1 I had a D-Link hub that was 100% for many years, are they still in the game?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2013, 11:25 PM
It doesnt matter what brand you get. They're not that great for plugging anything into. They'll disconnect, whether its cheap or expensive

Blue Druid
12-05-2013, 12:55 PM
See my reply to this (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?132247-What-is-a-USB-hub) thread. While I agree with Speedy that any hub will eventually give misery, the Jaycar one has been by far the best I have ever had (and I have had a good many, both cheap and expensive.)

Billy T
13-05-2013, 04:34 PM
It doesnt matter what brand you get. They're not that great for plugging anything into. They'll disconnect, whether its cheap or expensive

That's not been my experience Speedy, I've had a variety of hubs, but failures were mostly mechanical, not electronic, and dropped connections have not been an issue at all until the present time. I'm not 100% sure that it is the hub because it can be triggered by physical movement of the computer case but not by fiddling with any leads so I am suspecting perhaps an improperly fitted plug on the motherboard.

Following up on that thought, and having delved into the archives and pulled out my MB data, I found good news and bad news. The good news is that my ASUS P7P55D EVO MB has 8 USB 2.0 ports on the MB backplane, and a further two linked to the front ports (which I rarely use except for downloading images from our cameras). I was disappointed to see that there were no USB3.0 ports available, but then I really don't need them at present anyway.

So, with 8 USB ports available (if I don't count the front ones. which I only use to download images from cameras and memory sticks), and only needing about four under normal conditions, then I don't need a hub at all and can despatch that idea forthwith. Mouse and keyboard are PS2 via a KVM switch and Audio is via phone jacks, and I can't see myself needing more than two printers and a scanner running at any given time.

It's progress JIm, but not as we know it............

Cheers

Billy 8-{)