PDA

View Full Version : Can you help?

Sanco
11-05-2013, 12:27 PM
My system (W7 home) in the last couple of days started clearing cache on restart, not something it did before.

I checked my browsers and none of them have settings to clear cache on exit, and anyway it just happens on restart not on browser exit.

Only thing I have installed recently is Auslogic Boost Speed, which works well with Auslogic Disk Defrag. So for the sake of elimination I have uninstalled Boost speed but system still clears cache on exit (it could well be still the culprit though).

I need to keep the cache, at least until I determine I need a clean, because I play a game which is very reliant on certain settings held in cache.

So what can I do to find out what is clearing my cache o restart?

Regards
Sanco

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2013, 12:32 PM
If ccleaner is installed, see whats in startup

linw
11-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Or run msconfig from the command window to check startups. Untick pretty much all except AV prog. You can always re-tick the odd one if necessary.

Sanco
11-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi guys and thank you for your help. I checked startup and there is only av stuff running, but I found the culprit - FF. For whatever reason even if clear cache upon exit isn't checked it still does. Maybe a bug on this version? FF used to be a very reliable browser, may have a look at chrome now...

linw
11-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Maybe the profile is corrupted?

Sanco
12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Could be. so should I reinstall it or go for chrome?

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I wouldnt install chrome, its full of holes like Java

Sanco
12-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks SG

Sanco
19-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Well, I finally decided to give FF the boot - at least until they fix this issue. So, off I went 'shopping' for a new browser. Speedy said I should not get Chrome so I looked elsewhere and tried Opera.

Impressions with Opera are not favourable; slow, buggy and not really customizable for clearing history on exit. So off it goes too.

All I have left to try are IE (new version) and Chrome really. Can I have your views on what I should do?

Cheers

bk T
19-05-2013, 05:40 PM
I wouldnt install chrome, its full of holes like Java

+ 1

Sanco
19-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Ok, thanks, so far I got that and I appreciate it. Now for the suggestions part - which one would you get?

zqwerty
19-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Chrome is an offshoot of Chromium optimized by Google, another offshoot which is clean is SRWare Iron,

you can get it here:

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

You can install popular addons like Adblock Plus etc as well

Trev
19-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Now what's wrong with IE10 ? I run it all the time with no problems.
:)

Sanco
20-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Thank you Zqwerty. After reading your suggestion I did a bit of research and chrome seems to rate very highly in security around the geeky sites, so I have installed it now. Bit of a new learning curve. How do I get adblock for it?

Trev, nothing wrong with IE10 according to the same sites, in fact up there with the best. However I am windows intolerant. :eek:

zqwerty
20-05-2013, 07:50 PM
My suggestion is for you to get SRWare Iron or Chromium as a 2nd choice, not Chrome as there are privacy issues with Chrome being a Google offering, I thought I had made that clear.

zqwerty
20-05-2013, 08:02 PM
adblock plus for chrome, srware iron and chromium:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb?hl=en

Sanco
21-05-2013, 09:07 AM
My suggestion is for you to get SRWare Iron or Chromium as a 2nd choice, not Chrome as there are privacy issues with Chrome being a Google offering, I thought I had made that clear.

Sorry bud, my bad there. Did not catch the meaning of your post.

I am happy to live with the privacy issues that chrome may bring, after all most here would have a FB which would pose similar issues with privacy, so long asthe issues do not overflow to the security side of things.

Thank you for the link to adblock ;)

Vince
21-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Just a word of advice;_

the title of a post should contain a concise description of the problem,
to attract the attention of those might know something about it.

It smooths the flow of information.

Sanco
21-05-2013, 12:54 PM
That's your view, but thanks.

21-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Just a word of advice;_

the title of a post should contain a concise description of the problem,
to attract the attention of those might know something about it.

It smooths the flow of information.

+1 , couldn't agree more.

"can you help" would get ignored by many as is looks like its going to be some inane question or request
That heading looks more like a spam than a genuine question

Sorry, getting off topic a bit
Can I help: No :lol:

Sanco
21-05-2013, 01:53 PM
The ones that know me know I don't spam or ask inane questions. In my view this thread served its purpose and I thank those who have helped constructively.