PDA

View Full Version : Deployment of skype and bulk creation of accounts?

DaveBritton
09-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi All,

We have a number of users who used MSN/WL Messenger. It has now stopped working for all users due to the MSN to skype switch. I have tested it and for some reason some accounts don't work with skype, and most users don't have the skype client installed anyway.

Part 1:
I would like to deploy skype via group policy en masse, but I can't seem to find an MSI package anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Part 2:
As some of the accounts don't work (and they weren't organised anyway) I would like to just create a new account for each user to use. I can't seem to find any information on mass/bulk account creation. Does anyone know how I can go about this other than registering each user individually? I am aware there is a 5 account creation per day limit on live accounts.

We are mainly a windows 7 environment, there are a few vista and XP machines still in use, but we have windows 7 replacements waiting to swap out for the XP machines anyway. Our domain controllers are Windows Server 2008 R2.

Any other tips on deployment of skype or alternative (preferably free) clients I can deploy are also welcome.

Thanks,
Dave.

DaveBritton
09-05-2013, 11:04 PM
After some more digging I may have answered my own question for part 2. Turns out there is a service called "skype manager" that allows you to manage and create business accounts. It allows you to import CSV files with the relevant fields to create accounts.

Chilling_Silence
09-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Try this for deployment via group policy:
http://www.skype.com/go/administrators.guide

DaveBritton
10-05-2013, 02:42 AM
Try this for deployment via group policy:
http://www.skype.com/go/administrators.guide

I have already read through that document with no mention of where to obtain the MSI package.

When you go to download it from their website, it leads you to a page where there is no hint of a download link.

Chilling_Silence
10-05-2013, 10:11 AM
IIRC you can extract it from the executable using something like WinRAR.

Alternatively, I seem to recall last time I did it I had to muck around and grab it from the %temp% folder during the actual installation, and copy it off somewhere else... Good luck! :D