PDA

View Full Version : Open document automatically when start PC

Misty
09-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi Guys
We have a spreadsheet in the form of a calendar so that we can make sure the important things done each day. My wife says that I am to late sometimes in opening it, she is right. When I switch on the PC first thing in the morning, can I arrange that the calendar (spreadsheet) opens automatically ? How do I do this please ?

Thanks in anticipation !
Misty :confused:

Nick G
09-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Copy a shortcut of the file to C:\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2013, 12:17 PM
It'd be better if you install a program that lets you add notes / reminders to it. Adding a document to startup, will just increase the time it takes to boot into windows.

pcuser42
09-05-2013, 12:35 PM
So would that program. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2013, 12:39 PM
At least it'll be smaller and wont take as long

Misty
09-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Copy a shortcut of the file to C:\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Many thanks Nick - exactly did what is needed. Worked a charm ! :clap

Misty

Misty
09-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi Speedy - thanks for the suggestion, however we are very happy with our custom-made calendar. It is colour coded for months, also we can put events that have appointments with the dentist, say in red, but desirable like washing the sheets, is in black. When item completed we put a grey background. Exercise, like walking is a mellow green background. We have thought it thoroughly through and it really works great for us. No more missed appointments, the sheets are changed regularly, the computer backups are done on time ! What can I say, we are pretty well organised (rather than obsessive !). If anyone wants the Excel formula, just say :-)
Misty

wainuitech
09-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Having a calendar / Planner is a good idea, if spread sheets work then great.

Personally I use Microsofts One Note with "To Do" lists for work appointments or things I have to do set up in weekly sections, all the computers are networked to the main program meaning doesn't matter if I'm in the workshop / Office where ever I can add new appointments / Tasks / Bill reminders etc.

One other option for some people, and many dont know this even exists, from Vista onwards Windows has included "Sticky Notes", by default ( may have been earlier OS's but don't recall it) the same sort of thing you see plastered all over peoples computers or other places. They stay on the screen till you delete them.

Greg
10-05-2013, 12:01 AM
One other option for some people, and many dont know this even exists, from Vista onwards Windows has included "Sticky Notes", by default ( may have been earlier OS's but don't recall it) the same sort of thing you see plastered all over peoples computers or other places. They stay on the screen till you delete them.Was just curious about this, but I can't find Sticky Notes on my Vista SP2 machine.

wainuitech
10-05-2013, 09:07 AM
I don't have a Vista machine running at the moment ( will soon doing a reinstall of one) but have a read of http://www.howtogeek.com/80043/using-sticky-notes-in-windows-vista-or-xp-2/ and http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/93264-sticky-notes.html I know in W7 ( may work in Vista) you can go to the search and type in "sticky" ( without the "" ) and it appears. I'll check on Vista Soon and report back.

Greg
10-05-2013, 11:10 PM
have a read of http://www.howtogeek.com/80043/using-sticky-notes-in-windows-vista-or-xp-2/Thanks, found it. Funny thing is I had this running a short while back and didn't know how I activated or even what it was. Doh.... sad huh! :o

wainuitech
10-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Narrrrrrrrrr not sad at all ;) lots of bits and bobs on PC's that we all forget about or don't even know exist.

Anyway as I stated earlier this morning, typing sticky into vista search ( start type) brings up the sticky option as well. Finally got the Vista going then it decided it didn't want to work and crashed and sulked again lol -- I fixed that -- pull the power :p