PDA

View Full Version : Do you like modular power supplies?

Digby
08-05-2013, 05:41 AM
I am going to order a new power supply as mine is dying.

I thought I might get a modular power supply (the ones with the detachable cables.

I dont run a big rig.

Just for home business and internet and I run a basic graphics card, and 3 hard drives.

I quite like the look of the Coolermaster M520 for $98.00

I like to buy from PBtech and they stock
Coolermaster
Seasonic
and Thermaltake

gary67
08-05-2013, 07:42 AM
yes less spare cabling to hide

dugimodo
08-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Yes and no. I like the Idea and it can make for a tidier more easily managed pc, but it depends on how the cables are divided up. I found when I had one for example that I needed most of the cables plugged in anyway despite not having that much hardware at the time. I had a SATA hard drive and a SATA optical drive and they were far enough apart that both SATA power cables with a total of 6 power connectors had to be installed, I had 1 Molex powered Fan needing one of the two molex cables installed. in the end only the extra graphics card power cable and one molex cable were left spare, hardly made a difference to the amount of cables used. Also it means you need to store all the spare cables somewhere you won't lose them and they can be awkward to install later if required sometimes meaning removing the PSU to do it. Now I have a non modular 850W PSU with a ton of cables and I just tidy the spare ones away.

Paul.Cov
08-05-2013, 08:55 AM
As already stated, they can reduce cable clutter, but the real beauty is that they present no restrictions when you want to replace / upgrade other hardware, coz you'll likely have all the cables you need for the new gear, and might have the opportunity to get rid of other cables with the old gear that's going out.

08-05-2013, 09:44 AM
with removable modular cables, youre really adding in 1 extra possible point of failure
chances are it wont be an issue though

Ive got to wonder, just what those modular connectors are actually rated for. I would guess those connectors arnt rated for some of they wacky max Amp ratings of some
of these new high current supplies . True 30A & 40A connectors can be pretty beefy

Slankydudl
08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
I would assume the modular connections are rated at the exact same as the cable. Modular supplies are rarely regarded as worse the only problem I've ever had with them is that for beffier cables they still tend to bundle all the wires rather than having them desperate which makes it much easier to bend around tight corners... So with my corsair modular supply I had to redoo the mobo power.

Agent_24
08-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I like to buy from PBtech and they stock
Coolermaster
Seasonic
and Thermaltake

Seasonic will be the best out of those three.

Ive got to wonder, just what those modular connectors are actually rated for. I would guess those connectors arnt rated for some of they wacky max Amp ratings of some
of these new high current supplies . True 30A & 40A connectors can be pretty beefy

The load will be divided amongst the different connectors, you aren't going to have anything pulling 30 Amps from one cable!

Grimy
09-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I fitted a Corsair modular PSU to my PC 3 years ago. No issues with plugs or cables. I'll be quite happy to go modular again next build.

Digby
10-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the replies

I do wish they would offer more cables with their power supplies, as their is still a lot of wasted cables and connections.

Slankydudl
10-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Well considering I have a whole draw of cables for my power supply it seems as though they offer quite a lot.

wratterus
10-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Seasonic or Corsair. Don't get Thermaltake. Cooler Master are good value for money.

Modular is nice, looks good and easier to route cables. If you're not bothered how the internals of the PC look, then don't bother.

I like mine to look like this, so modular is essential.

Digby - when you buy a modular PSU, it comes with *all* the cabling. How could you need more? There aren't any more jacks on the PCU to plug anything into.

Digby
11-05-2013, 03:37 PM
@ Watterus

What I meant was that the cables could have less plugs on each one. And some could be longer and some could be shorter.

I think that some of the new digital cameras now have the capability to take colour photos!