PDA

View Full Version : Noisy PC - power supply ?

Digby
07-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Hi guys

Over the last few days my desktop PC has been making grinding noises.

I suspect it is the power supply as when I touch it while the machine is going ,the noise changes.

Its about 4 years old.

Its quite a grinding noise so I don't think it would be the case fan or or the CPU fan.

What do you think?

Should I buy a new power supply and hope that fixes the noise and may be a case fan at the same time as that is about 4 years old also.

How long have I got before the power supply fails - it does go quite and then the noise starts up again.

I had been saving up to buy a bigger hard drive, but I suppose the power supply will have to come first!

linw
07-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Easy to test the bearings on PSU and case fans. Stick a thin wooden stick in to stop the blades and see whether the noise stops.

Phil B
07-05-2013, 11:33 PM
You can get a piece of hose, hold it to your ear & move the other end over each fan in your PC box to find where the noise is coming from. But if the noise changes when you touch the power supply without exerting a lot of pressure, I'd be pretty sure it was the supply that's at fault. If that's the case, change it as soon as possible. I had a power supply die on me about 18 months ago & when it died it fried 5 hard drives. Luckily I had all the main stuff backed up.

wainuitech
07-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Slight alteration to Linw's post, a stick in the fans will stop them from turning if you must do it like that BUT do it like this: with the machine turned OFF, hold a stick in ( ice block stick for example) then turn on the PC on while holding the Fan -- this will stop the fan from spinning up. When you find the right fan the noise will disappear.

DONT push in anything to a spinning fan, the blades WILL snap off and cause all sorts of damage.

I can tell you from experience that fingers, or knuckles hitting a fan hurt like hell, and the blades DO break - along with blood theres a lot of damage that can happen, out of balance fans will shake like hell, once a blade breaks the fans stuffed.

One safer way, is to turn off the computer, take the side off the case, turn it on - generally its easy to hear which fan is causing the noise - lot safer as well.

If the PSU fan is failing it can fail at any time, simply "clunk" that's it gone, could be within 5 minutes, could be fine for another year or two.

Murphy's law would suggest now you mentioned it, it will be soon :p

Iantech
07-05-2013, 11:56 PM
DONT push in anything to a spinning fan, the blades WILL snap off and cause all sorts of damage.

I can tell you from experience that fingers, or knuckles hitting a fan hurt like hell, and the blades DO break - along with blood theres a lot of damage that can happen, out of balance fans will shake like hell, once a blade breaks the fans stuffed.

One safer way, is to turn off the computer, take the side off the case, turn it on - generally its easy to hear which fan is causing the noise - lot safer as well.

If the PSU fan is failing it can fail at any time, simply "clunk" that's it gone, could be within 5 minutes, could be fine for another year or two.

Murphy's law would suggest now you mentioned it, it will be soon :pOh yeh, thats exactly what I was thinking when I read linw's post. A computer came to me just like that once, a client broke 3 fins off the case fan by shoving a stick in while it was running. The plastic fans get quite brittle after a few years, it is very easy to snap them.
Dont do what one of my clients did, squirt some CRC on them!!

Digby
08-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Thanks guys
I'll order a new one tomorrow

dugimodo
08-05-2013, 08:09 AM
gently and very carefully touching the centre of the fan is safer. If it is just the power supply fan you can fix it. I had a silverstone PSU with a fan that did that, I just cut the fan connector of one of those molex adapters and spliced it into the fan wiring then plugged a standard case fan into it.

linw
08-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Perhaps I have been lucky!! Agreed, there are better ways as described.

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Might be like this thing. The VGA fan on this sometimes makes a grinding noise. It lasts for maybe a min or two. Then it goes quiet. Just have to find out where to get a replacement fan from.