PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Machine, Lost Lan connection to internet

pk6ih
07-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi, hope someone can help - apologies if I dont explain this right. WIn XP Machine, connected by ethernet to DSL Wifi modem. Internet works over Wifi ok, Lan "light" shows connected but "has limited connectivity" no internet access, was working ok until all of a sudden it died. Have tried entering DNS numbers in the TCP protocol - did not work, have done a ping test and it did not time out but returned ok, tried the "release and renew" instructions on microsoft website for TCP / IP did not work (or I did not do correctly) no Virus or Malware present according to AVG and Malwarebytes, so a bit lost. Please help :(

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Are the drivers installed for the NIC? Have you tried another ethernet cable? Is the ethernet enabled in the BIOS? If none of these fix it, the NIC itself maybe dead / stuffed

You sure you typed in a valid ip address under TCP/IP / v4?

SolMiester
07-05-2013, 03:55 PM
You could try winsock fix.....

pk6ih
07-05-2013, 03:57 PM
thanks, will try this tonight, the NIC was working ok, until this moment when it all stopped, got connection lights on the LAN port and on the back of the PC when connected. not sure if it is enabled in the Bios but it was working ok before, will give it a go though, thanks for the advice.

pk6ih
07-05-2013, 03:58 PM
thanks, will give it a go

catspyjamas
07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
I have exactly the same prob with my 5yr old HP laptop. The LAN lights up on both the ethernet port on the laptop and on the LAN lights on the modem, but I can never get internet connection with via the ethernet, only LAN or limited connectivity. I've tried it with different ethernets and all four ports on the modem. I can get internet via wireless perfectly however. For me the problem started about eighteen months ago, maybe longer. I discovered it by accident when I decided to do a speedtest and wanted to compare wireless via ethernet speeds (and it was the first time I'd actually plugged the ethernet in in a while). Telecom's helpdesk once got me to try a few things in my settings to see if it helped but to no avail. I've been too scared of exploring other fixes in case I wreck things further and find myself with no internet at all.

*watches thread with interest*