PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my PC and build a new one, and whats it worth...

dugimodo
07-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm a bit of a Junkie when it comes to building PC's, my current one is great and doesn't need upgrading but I'm thinking of doing it anyway.

So the question is in two parts
1. what's my current PC worth
2. Should I build one now or wait for haswell... (or neither) I've been bitten by early adopting in the past so ivy bridge is still looking good.

What I have (well the bits that will end up in the machine I sell) approx 1 year old and 18 months for the graphics card

Cooler master Storm trooper full tower case (with possibly 1 faulty front USB 3.0 port I gave up on), Corsair TX850W PSU
Asus P8-Z77, i5 3570K, Hyper 212 evo cooler, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 series 120Gb SSD, 1 or 2 1TB 7200 RPM drives
Blu-ray reader DVD/RW combo drive, Asus GTX 580, Windows 7 OEM and windows 8 pro upgrade with media centre (no media Just keys bought online)

What I'm thinking of building - small upgrade and much smaller physically

Asrock H77 itx board, i7 3770 (not K can't be bothered with OC), 8Gb RAM, 250Gb SSD (+existing 256Gb SSD), 3TB storage drive, 550W gold antec PSU, Bitfenix prodigy itx case, windows 8 (going to suck it and make the change), EVGA GTX670 (chosen for the cooler design)

kingdragonfly
07-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I never sell my PC's; I usually just strip it to parts, and re-use what I can.

If I wind up with too many parts, I take the oldest parts and build something useful, like a security camera DVR.

Iantech
07-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Personally, I think you're throwing away money dugi lol.
Why? Because I don't think you will get, see or feel any significant increase in performance. I think going from an i5 3570 that you have clocked to an i7 3770 will not net you much if any gain and upgrading from a GTX580 to a GTX 670 about the same. Day to day tasks you might even find it slower.
I think suggesting a price knowing what you have put into it will probably be insulting but maybe between $1200-$1500, possibly closer to the upper end as it has an SSD that some might find appealing.

My Opinion Only.

SolMiester
07-05-2013, 03:01 PM
LOL, I like those prodigy cases, though they arent that stable due to the loopy rail that acts as legs, however they are nice (but fiddly) to work on.....If you are going to go non k, get the Z77E-ITX board, has non-k OC so you can max the turbo period on all cores...however, as Ian said, you wont gain anything really......If you must upgrade, wait for Haswell!

dugimodo
07-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Hmmm, you are reinforcing my own feelings about wasting money. I enjoy the process of choosing parts and building a new PC and getting it all working. After that fun dies down though I'm sure the result would be much the same to use as what I have now. There's a few things driving the impulse, for a start I haven't built a PC in over a year (apart from resurrecting some old machines I was given and then giving them away again) then there's the fact that my current machine is a small apartment block and I lug it to a LAN once a month. Also if I upgrade while my machine is relatively current it has some resale value.

I'm currently thinking of options and maybe scaling back the spend (if I don't just flag the whole thing).
1. If I build the new machine completely it's around $2100 and I'd try to recover about half that by selling the old one. the attraction is no disruption to my current machine until finished.
2. If I don't buy the graphics cards or hard drives it only costs me about $1100 and I can still squeeze 2 PC's out of it, one of which gets the gaming graphics card.
3. I could just but the MB, Case, and a new copy of windows (leaving the old OS tied to the other MB) for around $500 and shoehorn my current hardware into it. Leaving me with one functioning Pc and a lot of parts.

I do like my giant case, it's so easy to work on and anything I want is going to fit in there. I also really like the look of the prodigy though. I've recently removed my 4 x 2TB storage drives out of the PC and put them in a USB 3.0 enclosure and that's working really well - it's kind of what started the thought process towards shrinking the main PC to a more discreet size.

BBCmicro
07-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Totally agree with getting a small desktop. I'm really pleased with my Silverstone SG08 (which is the same footprint as the Prodigy ITX but only half the height).

The space for all those drives in the Prodigy seems a bit of a waste. I have just the one 3.5" (2TB) and an SSD (plus a spare 2.5" slot) and that has proved entirely adequate. Most of my storage is on USB3 Passports, plus a USB3 dock for all my 3.5" HDDs

I can't think why anyone would implement a mid-tower these days

(My setup:
Case SG08 with 600W psu
MB Gigabyte Z77 OCversion ITX 'wifi'
Graphics HD7750 (case will take a full length card but no higher than HD7750)
RAM 8GB
System storage Intel 330 120GB
Scratch storage WD 'green' 2TB
CPU i5-3570k)

icow
07-05-2013, 08:51 PM
They have a dual slot gpu (or tri-slot) and need a soundcard, wireless card or something else like that.

jonovw
07-05-2013, 09:50 PM
the prodigy has two pci slots but the board only has one. Quite a few mini-Itx mbs have built in wifi as well.

dugimodo
07-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Many itx Cases support dual slot full length cards, both the prodigy and the SG08 do for example.
I just realized my current graphics card is a 3 slotter though so that won't be going in any kind of itx case

dugimodo
08-05-2013, 12:18 PM
I went for option 4D, building an itx gaming box as a 2nd machine for taking to the LAN using a cheaper CPU & graphics card (i3 3220 & 650Ti boost) and re-using some of my current HDD collection. costing around 1K and is still a bit extravagant for something that will get used about once a month, but I'm already thinking of other uses for it. For one thing I tend to run dual screen on my current machine and do other things in the background, that may change to dual PC's rather than dual screens :) If thinks work out and I like the itx machine I always have the option of swapping in my i5 & SSD and selling off the current PC either whole or as parts (how many people would want an full tower with an i3 in it ?)