PDA

View Full Version : Network question

gary67
06-05-2013, 03:02 PM
I have 2 desktop computers side by side. One XP home, one Win7 home pre.

Recently I was getting a conflict of IP with my server so I set both desktops to use a manual IP say
182.1**.*.66 and
182.1**.*.67

Issue of IP conflict solved, but since doing this my Win7 pc cannot now connect to the shared folder on the XP computer.

The XP computer can still connect to the shared folder on the Win7 computer though.

Any ideas of what might be causing this? :thanks

P.S My Win7 netbook cannot connect to the XP share either which leads me to believe XP might be the problem, I'm intending to update the XP machine soon anyway but its just annoying

Chilling_Silence
06-05-2013, 03:09 PM
I think you mean 192.168.1.66 for example? Basically anything beginning with 192.168 is a private IP address that's not routeable through the internet, so it's perfectly safe to paste it. Majority of home networks use 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 (Depending on the router).

Anyways if it can't access it I'd personally look at statically assigning the IP Address through the router, so tell the router "This PC over here, always give it 192.168.1.5. Then this second one, over here, always give it 192.168.1.6", for example. See if that has any effect on it?

gary67
06-05-2013, 03:15 PM
I think you mean 192.168.1.66 for example? Basically anything beginning with 192.168 is a private IP address that's not routeable through the internet, so it's perfectly safe to paste it. Majority of home networks use 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 (Depending on the router).

Anyways if it can't access it I'd personally look at statically assigning the IP Address through the router, so tell the router "This PC over here, always give it 192.168.1.5. Then this second one, over here, always give it 192.168.1.6", for example. See if that has any effect on it?

Yes wasn't sure about putting my IP address in the post. I wanted to assign through the router but I couldn't find anywhere in the free vodafone router to do it. I have always done that in the past. Changing router is not an option at this point as we have bigger monetry drains at the moment such as buying a another house

WarNox
06-05-2013, 03:31 PM
When you're connecting to the XP computer, from either device, are you using its IP or hostname? Since the machine is no longer on DHCP other machines might not be able to resolve the hostname.

gary67
06-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Just opening network on Win7 and clicking on the name of the computer, it shows up as a network device just can't access it

WarNox
06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
What if you click Start > run > type in '\\<ip address>\<share name>\' (eg. \\192.168.1.30\share) and click 'ok' ?

gary67
06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Weird went through the XP settings and somehow file and print sharing had got turned off. All good now, this manflu must be worse than I thought.

Thanks for the input though

SolMiester
06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
I have 2 desktop computers side by side. One XP home, one Win7 home pre.

Recently I was getting a conflict of IP with my server so I set both desktops to use a manual IP say
182.1**.*.66 and
182.1**.*.67

Issue of IP conflict solved, but since doing this my Win7 pc cannot now connect to the shared folder on the XP computer.

The XP computer can still connect to the shared folder on the Win7 computer though.

Any ideas of what might be causing this? :thanks

P.S My Win7 netbook cannot connect to the XP share either which leads me to believe XP might be the problem, I'm intending to update the XP machine soon anyway but its just annoying

Id say NetBIOS isnt resolving the new IP addresses that you put in...Modem routers nowadays keep track of IP addressing for PC so you can use the PC name......If I were you, I would go back to using DHCP...

Chilling_Silence
06-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Yeah DHCP solves most of those issues.

When you get the mortgage, add on $250 and sort yourself out a good solid setup once and for all :D I know what you mean though, I hate the WebUI of those Vodafone branded routers, it's terrible. You *can* change the IP range in there but buggered if I can remember where to do it, it was some place stupid IIRC?

Glad to hear you got it sussed :)

gary67
07-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Yeah DHCP solves most of those issues.

When you get the mortgage, add on $250 and sort yourself out a good solid setup once and for all :D I know what you mean though, I hate the WebUI of those Vodafone branded routers, it's terrible. You *can* change the IP range in there but buggered if I can remember where to do it, it was some place stupid IIRC?

Glad to hear you got it sussed :)

Yep with the boy working for an electrical and security company and me designing kitchens we will have a bit of modifications to make to the place but yep want to go for a full home setup hopefully once we get in in a couple of months time

Chilling_Silence
07-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Ah cool, so between the two of you it shouldn't be too tough to sort out wiring the house with some good structured cabling then? :D

Best of luck!