PDA

View Full Version : Networking reconfiguration

Sapperbro
06-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Have just upgraded my main machine. Unfortunately, I left it a little late and was supplied Win 8 64bit. My original was an XP Pro machine that was under-specced to take Win 7. My wife's computer and my traveling laptop are Win 7. I wish to strip out all networking details (including router addresses) and start again with the Win 8 machine as the master. All my networking books give the set up but not how to erase a system and start again. I want to eliminate any conflicts with data that may be left installed. Any pointers please? One other question, when a printer is deleted from a system, does that also remove any files created when a printer is installed. I am trying to change my drivers to a 64 bit system with new drivers supplied but still seem to be ending with the older configuration.

Chilling_Silence
06-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Have just upgraded my main machine. Unfortunately, I left it a little late and was supplied Win 8 64bit. My original was an XP Pro machine that was under-specced to take Win 7. My wife's computer and my traveling laptop are Win 7. I wish to strip out all networking details (including router addresses) and start again with the Win 8 machine as the master. All my networking books give the set up but not how to erase a system and start again. I want to eliminate any conflicts with data that may be left installed. Any pointers please? One other question, when a printer is deleted from a system, does that also remove any files created when a printer is installed. I am trying to change my drivers to a 64 bit system with new drivers supplied but still seem to be ending with the older configuration.

In probably 99% of home situations, the router is the "master" as such. It gives out the IP Addresses automatically using "DHCP" (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Change the router to a new IP Address and make sure it gives out addresses through DHCP on the new range, then restart your PCs :-)

kingdragonfly
06-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure I completely understand your query.

It's a good idea to "dump" each PC's network settings, as it can be hard to recreate. You did not mentioned wireless, so I assume everything's wired together.

Try running these three command from the DOS prompt ([Windows Key] + [R] CMD)

ipconfig /all > temp.txt

notepad temp.txt

EXIT

The second command should open the file in notepad, where you can print it.

You may see several network interfaces, but the important one probably says "DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes"

As chilling_silience mentions look for "DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : some IP address".

"some IP address" is often the router also. Frequently if you type your router address into Internet Explorer, the router's configuration page will open, asking you for the admin / root password.

Hope this helps.