PDA

View Full Version : Buying Windows XP

26-11-2001, 08:36 PM
I'm wanting to know if anybody knows of anywhere I might get Win XP Pro academic upgrade for less than $200. I know I can get it for $210 here in Tauranga, so if there's anywhere elsewhere I could get it for cheaper, I'll be into that. Preferably I'd be buying online, but I suppose that doesn't really matter.

26-11-2001, 09:26 PM
Mike

Use the money for something you need, man.

Get a new mouse or a game or something.

Robo.

26-11-2001, 11:34 PM
Yes, thanks for your concern Rob :)

I'm not using the baby money (just to ease your mind)...

anyway, do you know of anywhere that's selling XP Pro academic for under $200?

27-11-2001, 06:24 PM
HaHaHa... you will probably get it for $199. and next month it will sell for $150.
Out of interest, why is the academic versions always cheaper and why?

27-11-2001, 06:47 PM
yes, I know, but I'm hoping that won't be the case... besides, I'm probably not gonna be a student next year, so I'm making the most of having the ability to buy academic prices stuff now :)

I think they make academic prices so much cheaper because students generally NEED the software (fairly true) and they'd rather they bought it for cheap than pirate a copy, since students generally can't afford the software at retail price (also very true.. most of the time anyway)

28-11-2001, 11:26 AM
And you are going to buy it on your student loan, right, and join the rest of the intellegencia, and whinge about the student loan forever and a day. WHAT is so important about Windows XP, that you can buy it as a academic package?.... and if MS can sell it at that price to students, why can't they sell it to the computer enthusiast as well.... Maybe we could get a special computer geek ID card from PCWorld

28-11-2001, 01:21 PM
I would put it on the Student Loan, but I used the whole of what I had available of that to buy my new computer (which is now of course out of date, and Im trying to sell it!)