PDA

View Full Version : System Cooling

26-11-2001, 07:57 PM
Hi all,

Have a wee problem with my new system, it's running at around 38 degrees Celsius, I understand that this is probably a bit too high for a system!!! I have a fan sucking the air out the back, and have cats so can't take the side panel off the case, nor do I really want to put a fan on the front to suck cat hair in........

My questions are:
1. Can anyone recommend some cooling device to help this?
2. Would it help to have a fan on my graphics card? (It seems to emit a fair amount of heat - GeForce 2MX dual head 32MB).
3. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA7VTX, would there be an error with the sensor, or would the air around the sensor be more concentrated with warmer air? Having said this though, the PC does seem to make the odd error now and then (not loading programs correctly when switched on, programs in the systray not responding), and this is predominantly in the warmer day time temperatures.

Many thanks for all your help!

26-11-2001, 08:28 PM
Craig

Are you sure 38 degrees is too high?

I know they can get pretty hot, but I've don't remember what their normal operating range is.

Robo.

26-11-2001, 09:06 PM
Mine has run at 37 since new with no more problems than is expected from WinME. Taking the side case off wouldn't help anyway, as the cooling system is designed to make the air flow inside the case. Taking the case off lets the air just go out in all drections with no flow path, reducing it's effectiveness.

Theer are plenty of cooling systems available, just search the net. People have rigged up all sorts of gel and water cooled units. I even heard of a freon cooling system once - like a fridge!

G P

26-11-2001, 09:11 PM
Hi Craig,

Are you talking about the temperature of your CPU or the temerature of the air in your case? If thats a CPU temp you've got nothing to worry about, my athlon runs at 60+ during the day at peak usage, and it's got a massive 7500rpm fan! If that is the temperature of the air in the case, you should put another exhaust fan. There is already one in your PSU, but another wouldn't hurt. As for your graphics board, if all it has is a heatsink I would advise upgrading to a fan, perhaps a blue orb cooler from tastech.co.nz. Another method of dropping CPU temp (if that's what it is) is to put some arctic silver 2 thermal pasted between it and the heatsink, or obviously to fit a larger fan... What type of CPU is yours, and did it come from The Pc Company?

26-11-2001, 10:09 PM
i'm more worried about erin's cpu temp. 60+ with a 7500rpm?
my 1.4 atho does around 55 with a 4500rpm fan. mayby you need a better heatsink or my temp sensor is out a tad ;-)

26-11-2001, 10:49 PM
Small fridge units are about 250-300 bucks. For some interesting stuff on REALLY cooling things down go to www.comet.net.nz and follow the overclockers banner. Comet also sell the coolers. Ask for Steve and tell him Ian sent you. Probably charge you double! :-)

26-11-2001, 11:24 PM
Thanks heaps for your help guys.

Right, well let's see,

Yes it's definitely the System temperature, the CPU is running at about 45 degrees, and is a 1.2 Athlon. I have an exhaust fan, and that dropped the temp by only about 4 degrees, so I think the way to go might be to put either another exhaust on the side of the case (make it myself) and to cool the graphics card (well definitely do that anyway).

Any other suggestions?

26-11-2001, 11:27 PM
Believe me Ian, if I could afford a small fridge unit, I'd have one aye...lol Currently I'm making do with a modded side panel with 4 120mm exhaust fans, and 2 at the rear, along with a PCI slot exhaust fan, a bus cooler card, and the fan in the PSU... Yeah, the dragon orb is too loud, but it does a REALLY good job... As for intake, my floppy drive has no face panel, and you can feel it sucking like a vacuum cleaner!! If you put a piece of paper in front, it goes in (probably not a good idea)...