PDA

View Full Version : Burning CD's

26-11-2001, 04:39 PM
Using Adaptec Create CD (backpack cd -rewriter) to burn a copy of Mandrake 8.0.

Unfortunately (even at slow speeds) it hits 'unexpected error' at about 81% burned (then ejects the new cd and says failed at 98%)

Is there a logical reason (problem reading/copying from the Mandrake disc) that I should be aware of??

Ta

26-11-2001, 04:53 PM
What model CD-RW are you using?

26-11-2001, 04:58 PM
Sony CD-R

I don't want to use a rewriteable disk as it wont work (I think) in the PC I want to use Mandrake on)

PS - I burn a few CD's and never had this problem b4

26-11-2001, 05:39 PM
If you are copying from the HD (or are about to), it would probably be helpful to defrag the disk before loading the image. If the disk is badly fragnmented, the scatter would get worse and worse towards the end of a 640MB file, as the system uses smaller and smaller empty spaces.

26-11-2001, 06:01 PM
It would appear the problem is not one of buffer underrun but more one of difficulty reading some files.

When I tried to copy to hard drive I got some errors :(

I will check where I sourced the disks from.

Thanks for your suggestions all :)

26-11-2001, 09:22 PM
Hi Emily,

Dunno if this is related but I used to get error messages with CreateCD until I was advised to turn McAfee off while burning.

Maybe there's a TSR or applet interfering with the process. If the other suggested fixes don't work, try turning off any unnecessary background programs (through Task Manager if you're running Windows) before you burn.

Who knows, might just work.

Andy. :^)

27-11-2001, 06:32 PM
Hi Emily,
My #1 rule when burning CD's - no matter what they are - is to disable all programmes you have running (including virus checker) and diconnect from the net..... You shouldn't have any problems; RINGO

27-11-2001, 09:30 PM
Try the newest drivers for adaptec at: https://www.roxio.com/en/jhtml/ftp/login.jhtml?returnPage=/en/jhtml/ftp/filedownload.jhtml&id=133

It solved a similar problem I was having.

01-12-2001, 01:24 PM
Are they 74QN Sony CDR.

These are only 650mb, not 700mb like most CDR.

My company distributes both Sony and Imation in NZ, and I have found that if you want a job done right, use Imation.

If they are 80min Sony's then ???????