PDA

View Full Version : Slow modem connection

26-11-2001, 02:18 PM
I find I have to wait about 25 seconds before my modem finally connects with the internet. This is a lot slower than my laptop and other computers I have tried on the same line. Whats causing the holdup?

26-11-2001, 03:05 PM
you need to be more specific -what type modem, which isp etc. for eg. xtra are having a few problems, or actrix are very hard to connect

26-11-2001, 04:08 PM
If you can get into your Dial-up connection properties, go to the Security tab and make sure that 'Log on to netword' is not ticked. If it is, untick it, as this can cause it to take a lot longer to connect.

26-11-2001, 06:53 PM
Hi Jazzy sparks! The only info I have about the modem is that it is internal PCI IN, Data/Fax Modem, Lucent chipset. Im running Windows ME with Intel Celeron 667. Thanks for the enquiry.

26-11-2001, 09:37 PM
Murray,

Sometimes the extended connection times can be down to multiple network protocols running in tandem with your network, e.g BetBEUI, IPX, running alongside TCP/IP.

The solution is to remove any not required. For example, my network and dial-up connection had only TCP/IP protocols running and it worked fine.

However, networking is part Juju and part sorcery to me so I might be way off here. :-))

27-11-2001, 07:17 PM
Networking is ALL magic. It was invented at Unseen University (see Terry Pratchett's Discworld books).

Andy is right. Remove any protocols you don't use. More is very definitely not better.

The one you need is TCP/IP. How many computers have you? If you have only one, you need only TCP/IP. If you have more than one and they are not networked you need only TCP/IP. If they are networked, you can probably still use only TCP/IP.