PDA

View Full Version : Solutions for sharing Jetstream via ADSL modem

26-11-2001, 02:00 PM
I am interested in software solutions for sharing an internal ADSL modem and jetstream link on a peer to peer network. There must be dozens of organisations doing this and I am interested in what software combination to use.

I've tried using Wingate but have had no end of trouble with receiving email. There are also some issues with Norton and Wingate sharing the same port. Has anyone got this combination to work properly?

Has anyone got another combination that works and is easy to use? Or can anyone point me at a site that explains the issues and how to navigate through them.

Thanks in advance.

26-11-2001, 04:57 PM
At the risk of getting in heaps of trouble - I thought nobody used wingate any more.

I use an external ADSL router so don't have this problem.

I liked Wingate, and it is worth pursuing. You just have to muck around with the port numbers. Worth reading about it and understanding it if you want to do it properly.

Good luck, Robo.

26-11-2001, 05:39 PM
We're still using Wingate as an Internet proxy gateway at the office. :P

26-11-2001, 06:16 PM
This is just a wild guess Karen, but if you are running a peer to peer network maybe setting the gateway on the computer you want to get access to the IP of the computer with the modem might work. If it won't, somebody will post a reply quickly to say why not.

I was planning to try this on my own network but haven't had time yet. I operate a 4 computer peer to peer network with an external ADSL router and have been wanting to route three computers internet access via one box so I'm interested in what you find out.

Billy 8-{)

26-11-2001, 10:54 PM
I'm on Jetstart and use Proxy+ for my sharing. It works brilliantly and it's free. Took a little nutting out as the author is Czech (no offence to any czechs) and his english is poor. But if you decide to go with it I can help you out setting it up. And there's a good online forum. Go to www.proxyplus.cz

27-11-2001, 03:17 PM
Try analogx Proxy from analogx.com works fine and so easy to use and free

Ro ger
www.bennett.net.nz

28-11-2001, 01:26 AM
Assuming you are on a windows box(modem machine)Why not just use the Builtin ICS (internet connection sharing) that comes as a part of every version of windows from 98se on ? no configuration, just put a tick in the box.

Frosty Bill, often licked, never beaten...