PDA

View Full Version : Why does this PC automatically Power-On?

26-11-2001, 10:34 AM
A friend is looking at buying second-hand Compaq Presario 500 series running Win 98. This PC automatically turns itself on at midnight, and we can't figure out why.

There is nothing set to run in Windows Scheduler, we have checked it for virus's, there is no utility or any other software running at startup, there is nothing in the BIOS setup that we can see that would be causing this behaviour.

Has anyone any ideas?

26-11-2001, 11:03 AM
Two other BIOS options that are worth checking are one to wake on lan us, and wake on modem use.

26-11-2001, 01:34 PM
Hi,

If your PC has ACPI and you live in an area where your hot water is controlled by ripple switches this may be causing the problem. To solve it, you could install a UPS, or probably a surge protector would do it. Ripple switches don have enough fluctuation to cause any harm to your PC, but in some areas they may be strong enough to activate a sensitive ACPI controller.

Bear in mind that this is a lot less likey than you're bios simply having wake on lan or modem turned on, but if that doesn fix it, this is worht a shot.

Hope that helps.

26-11-2001, 01:36 PM
Hi,

If your PC has ACPI and you live in an area where your hot water is controlled by ripple switches this may be causing the problem. To solve it, you could install a UPS, or probably a surge protector would do it. Ripple switches don have enough fluctuation to cause any harm to your PC, but in some areas they may be strong enough to activate a sensitive ACPI controller.

Bear in mind that this is a lot less likey than you're bios simply having wake on lan or modem turned on, but if that doesn fix it, this is worht a shot.

Hope that helps.

26-11-2001, 01:53 PM
Compaq and Microsoft are planning to take over the world. They are teaching computers to feed themselves.

The computers dial out and conspire in their own chat rooms, in the middle of the night.

Be very scared.

26-11-2001, 03:12 PM
I think Graham is right.

I definately wouldn't buy that computer.

PixelCrave
10-01-2005, 01:48 AM
i have a friend whose computer turns on by itself at exactly 12:00 midnight everyday for 4 years! she thought it was creepy. so do i.

checked her BIOS, found this: AUTO POWER ON > AUTO POWER MODE > EVERYDAY, AUTO POWER ON TIME > 00:00

**setting auto power on to DISABLED took care of the problem.