PDA

View Full Version : Unifi Hotspot

Greven
04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Has anyone played with the hotspot feature on Unifi access points? It looks like it could be quite good, and a hell of a lot cheaper than other hotspot solutions.
I don't have any direct need for a new hotspot right now, but some of the businesses I support occasionally mention they might look into setting up a hotspot one day.

berryb
06-05-2013, 01:16 AM
I have it setup in a school. I have an open Guest SSID using the hotspot with vouchers. The principal creates the voucher from the web interface for the time period required and prints them off. This is normally used for BYOD but has been used for internet access for teacher meetings when staff from other schools are on site. This only allows internet access and no access to any other network resources beside DHCP.

As it is a seperate SSID I have bandwidth limited so as not to impact greatly on normal daily internet wireless usage.

When using Hotspot function the software has to be running.

I have just setup a third SSID for Apple TV's as they seemed to screw the main SSID. I never looked into why because as soon as I gave them their own SSID there was no problem. Again very easy to do from the central control software and also limited bandwidth.